And the collection grows...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Well just bought another Tokai, this time a '03 MIK PRS copy. That will bring the total up to 5.

Any others with the PRS copy, thoughts?

Probably use this a the gig guitar and test bed. Initial plan is new pots and pups. Pups will probably be a Duncan C-5 in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. This seems to be a popular combo with the real PRS guys.

The main reason for the purchase is I still can't play my Love Rocks due to the weight and my recent back surgery. My EBMM Axis (which has a incredible neck) is just to hot pup wise for my new band (basic classic rock covers) but I love the pups for metal and of course Van Halen covers.

I'm also really anal about keeping my guitars pristine, won't let the belt buckle or jean rivets touch the back of the guitar, etc. With the MIK keeping the guitar pristine will not be an issue.

Ned

Congrats on the new guitar!

I've been eyeing the PRS-models as well as well, but I've been spending way too much money lately and I need a Strat more than another dual-HB guitar to keep the collection diverse ;)

They look awesome though (do you have any pictures of yours?). How does it play and sound (acoustically)?

Just grabbed it off evilBay. Price was to good to pass up. I really like dual hb's and all my other guitars are to nice for bar band work so this will be great. Also thinking of putting a new neck on my MIK Goldstar, the nut width is to narrow at the top, and use that as a backup/Strat tones.

I'll post pics and of course write a review soon after she arrives.

Arthus- no what you mean about spending money. I've got a Mesa Boogie cab on order and will probably buy a LoneStar Special head soon. Was going to bid on a cosmetically rough EBMM Silo but it was to much money (> $400). The Tokai PRS was <$300 with reasonable (<$30) shipping so I was forced to buy it :)

Ned

Wow, you got a hell of a deal on that one! That ones been listed a few times now, he pretty much gave it to you at that price. Good for you! 8)

ned said:
Arthus- no what you mean about spending money. I've got a Mesa Boogie cab on order and will probably buy a LoneStar Special head soon. Was going to bid on a cosmetically rough EBMM Silo but it was to much money (> $400). The Tokai PRS was <$300 with reasonable (<$30) shipping so I was forced to buy it :)

Wow Ned, that is a steal! I haven't quite been spending as much as you are, but still a bit much for my budget. I think you should get a Lone Star to match that Boogie cab, though, those are awesome amps.

Normally I don't spend this much especially at the beginning of race season - it usually goes to the race car. But I've just put a band together and my amp's need upgrading. A SF Champ won't cut it with a band and my old Dean Markley sounds like crap. So Lone Star Special here I come.

JSD- Yeh price was just to good to pass up. Thanks for the advice btw.

Ned

Hi Ned congrats on the new axe ... sorry my reply is so slow ... been rather distracted last few days (guitar related... I'll tell you about it sometime). Sorry to hear the back isn't standing up too well to that Reborn, maybe give it a few months?

Ian.

I've been doing lower back exercises religously to build up strength but that sucker is heavy. Wrote a review on the Catalinbread SCO where I used my Axis, Reborn and the neck pickup on a SoundStream (single coil).

Here's the link: SCO Tokai tones link

There is a MP3 with all 3 guitars in the order above if you want to compare the 3 axes.

One thing that is really noticable is the extra drive the Axis pups create, create for big distortion or Van Halen tunes but I really like that AC/DC type distortion which the Reborn gets.

Ned

Hi Ned

I've never had back surgery but have done my rounds with lower back pain (and have done a bazillion back extensions), so I feel for you. Nothing quite gets your absolute attention like having your back go out.

You might consider getting a used Reverend. They have humbuckers, P90s and Strat/Tele combinations, plus a newer one called the Wolfman which is Gretschlike. They are pretty light, being hollow, and they are extremely resonant. I have a Slingshot with P90s and a Bigsby, and with all that on board it's a shade over 7 pounds. They're pretty reasonable used sometimes.

Their basses are pretty cool as well. I played a used 5-string Rumblefish once and the low B was so funky and swirly through the amp it made me just crack up. Also very light in weight. Didn't get that one (wife was with me) :lol: but some day :roll: hope to snag one.

Take care

Steve

Some Tokai Les Pauls are quite light, too, especially the ones with two-piece body. For example my LS 60 only weighs ~3.5 kg (don't know in lbs).

So the guitar arrived yesterday. Previous owner had ropes for strings, could have been .10s but they felt like .11s. Changed to a set of .9's. Holy cow this thing has really low action and plays like butter. Not at all what I expected.

Another Tokai that has exceeded my expectations, I should get used to that by now.

Pics coming soon.

Ned

Back