TOKAI ES120 Korean made Question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter tore

Reaction score
Hi everyone: I am new here. I have the chance to buy a made in Korea ES120. The serial number is painted on the back of the headstock, in white paint E1504012. I can get it for $400(US). I have a few questions.

How does this guitar compare to a gibson 335? The craftsmanship is very good, and the playability is also excellent. I haven't played a 335 before, so I have no idea how it compares sound wise.

How old is this guitar? It seems brand new

How do these compare to the Japanese ones?

Thanks!
Walter

Might be a 2003 model as some of the MIK Tokai's got all numeral serial numbers in 04.

There might be wood differences and definately electronic differences between the MIJ and MIK Tokais. The MIK's are very good guitars. I'm thinking of getting a MIK Love Rocks to keep at the rehearsal space.

Do a search as there was a recent thread on the ESS60/80 which your guitar should be in that model range.

Ned

When your talking Tokais, you can't really go on model # alone as many people confuse one with another. ES-120s are Japanese made models, I'm kinda doubtfull that the Korean model shares the same model #, you may in fact be looking at a ES-60 or 80. Its the same style as the ES-120 but made in Korea. I've been meaning to bring a few in to sell, I haven't as of yet, maybe on my next order.

The big difference between the Japanese version and the Korean is that the Japanese version is completely hand made to meticulas standards, features flame maple top, sides and back and has a rock hard Canadian maple neck(one piece?). The electronics are also top notch. This model is said to completely blow away a Gibson in every way, shape and forum but that kind of quality doesn't come without a price. Canadian list price is around $2900, thats about $2500 US. Now thats just suggested list and not actual selling price, another thread mentioned a dealer selling one for $2400 CDN ($2000 and change US ) but when you look at a similar Gibson at $4000+ its a deal.

The Korean version is a very nice piece also. Laminated flame maple top sides and back, rock hard Canadain maple neck. Same quality electronics and fit and finish as other Korean made Tokais such as the Love Rock. There are many happy players out there with this lower priced model.

I guess you can say the Japanese version is for the more discrimanating (and rich) guitar player and collector, the Korean version is for the rest of us...;0

thanks for that info guys. I just got back from the music store. I put the tokai, up against a new gibson 335 ($2,200) I could hear very little difference. If anything, the gibson had less range in the tones of the pickup positions. Both played identical too- easy. I am buying this guitar, and for $1,800 less than a gibson. The salesman, when he saw it was a Tokai, said, "are they still in business?". I think this was the brand, that a bunch of Japanese guys in suits, carrying a bunch of fender copies. came in with to the Bottom Line, in NYC with, and gave to Buddy Bowser(horn player for New Yourk Dolls) and I. That was in the late 70's. They were perfect copies. I foolishly gave mine away. Walter

I can confirm ES-120 are japanese hand made.I met Tokai's luthier when I was at the factory and this man is an artist himself.I would order a Tokai 120 with no doubt,they feel fantastic!

I picked up a Sunburts es-120 from Japan just a couple of months ago. Just an absolutely beatiful instrument :D

Latest posts

Back