Tuners for Tokai strat?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko A

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Tokai ST-50 which I completely restored 1,5 years ago.
Otherwise the guitar has been very good to play and sounds nice,
except tuners. They?ve been starting to act lately. One of them
resonates badly on certain notes and two of them has so much play
on them that they don?t keep pitch anymore.

Has anyone replaced their tuners with some other good known brand,
like Schaller etc? I?d like to get some tips before I?m going to replace
mine. Should I go for "vintage"-style or take locking tuners?

Here?s a pic of tuners:
tuners.jpg

Thanks in advance

I replaced the tuners on my Silver Star with the Schaller 'look-alikes' from All Parts. You can get the Gotoh tuners that will match yours from anyone like All Parts, Stewart MacDonald, etc. They'll fit right, and be a nice tune. Here are the Kluson-types from Stewart MacDonald;

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Gotoh_Tuners.ssc

You can get the locking tuners if you'd like, but I always go vintage.

I would consider replacing them with Gotoh Klusons, they are also available as locking tuners. Since they are identical you do not need to drill any new holes.

I use locking Klusons on my MAT strat, they are available from www.rockinger.com in Germany and the price is very reasonable (29 Euro non locking/36 Euro locking)! The are also a direct replacement and are excellent. I can recommend Rockinger, I've bought parts from them a number of times. They also sell the Gotohs.

I f you decide to replace them I would be very interested to buy your old Tokai tuners. I have a couple of bad ones on two of my Tokais so I could use the best of yours to replace mine.

Here are the locking Klusons on my MAT (Kluson double line, 36 Euro):

headstock_front.jpg

headstock_back.jpg

Mike

Thank you for your time gyus. And especially to Mike, that?s the exact answer I was looking for. I think I?ll go with Gotoh Klusons, the locking ones. But the old ones I?m going to keep just in case I?ll want to return to originals one day or maybe find two good ones to get the whole set.

Latest posts

Back