Newbie Question - re Korean Love Rock tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toonarmy

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and new to Tokai Love Rocks or any LP type guitars, for that matter.

How thick are the maple tops on the newer Korean "made for Tokai" guitars?

I've seen pictures of the Elitist Epi's with the pickups taken out and the maple top looks quite substantial.

Are the Korean Tokai's a thin veneer or are they also pretty thick?

Thanks

Welcome to the board.

Depends on the type of top. A solid color will have a thick maple top but a flame or quilt will have a veneer, usually sycamore, over the thick maple top.

Either way the maple portion is thick the veneer is used to produce the flame or quilt.

Ned

Ditto what Ned says. Plus? you?ll find lots about MIK & veneer vs. solid if you hit the search button, see these two threads for example

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3063&highlight=als48 .
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3208&highlight=ls320

Maple cap is approx. 1/2inch thick, shaved down to 1/4ins. at the edges. Veneer is typically around 1/32ins thick (glued onto solid maple top). Plain burst tops are ?plain-sawn?, which can give attractive swirled grain, but not flames or quilting. MIK models may have photo-flame too (& maybe MIJ?), I doubt if any MIK have solid flame/quilt tops, but I stand to be corrected :-? .

Ian.

Hey guys, I thought I'd stick my two cents in here.

I have it on good authority ;) that the latest Korean Love Rocks are made better than ever in a new smaller factory, you can forget all the old talk about alder bodies, sycamore veneer tops, photo tops and bolt on necks. You won't see any of those here. The Korean Love Rocks available now are mahogany bodies with maple tops. The flame and quilt tops are maple veneers NOT photo tops. The set necks are made of rock hard Canadian maple with real bone nuts.

Latest posts

Back