More Japan Vs Korea questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoffoth

Reaction score
Hi all, I've read through a lot of posts about the topic and I'm close to going for a Korea make for budget reasons. I get the idea that they are every inch a great guitar for the price, just not as good as the Japanese ones.

What I'd like to ask is what examples can you give of differences? I'm more interseted in the ways they play and sound and whether its worth me holding on a couple of years for a Japanese model.

I realise thats entirely my call, but for info, I'm looking for a 3rd guitar and can't afford a Les Paul. I don't gig or play nearly as often as I'd like to so what can I expect for approx half the cost?

PS - Many thanks to everybody for this site and the forum. I can see there are some fantastic Tokais out there and you guys are helping them go to loving homes!

I purchased a Korean LR nearly two years ago and it has proved itself after becoming my main gigging guitar. It was set up almost perfectly (one slightly high fret) - perfect intonation. It has had a hard two years and is holding up excellently, some slight fret wear is showing up, normal for it's age & use. I have heard & read everything from utter crap to fantastic, so I can only assume that the quality varies from one to another. Bear in mind that the limited edition is also a Korean built guitar, and play before you buy. I can only speak from experience, mine has been first rate, it is a head turner and many true Gibson players have tried it out, only to be blown away buy it's bargain basement price of around $450. Tokais traditionally are a way to get the Gibson feel at an affordable price, this is becoming less so with high Japanese prices. Find a good TKM and you have a real gem and a bargain to boot !! Good luck with your search.

There are 2 main differences.

1) The MIK electronics are not nearly as good as the MIJ. Replace the pickups with some PAFs or Seth Lovers and your back in business - I would replace the pots as well.

2) Body wood. MIKs have maple tops and alder backs while the MIJs are maple tops and mahogony backs. This will have some effect on the tone.

Ned

Thanks guys - that's really helpful.

Its interesting that you advise trying before buying. I would never contemplate any other way to part with big cash for a (any!) guitar so seeing the eBay trade roaring is a surprise. But that's another topic!

so is is all the info in the Tokai promotional material about the Japanese models having a maple/sycamore top & mahogany back gumph then? :-?

little-odgie said:
so is is all the info in the Tokai promotional material about the Japanese models having a maple/sycamore top & mahogany back gumph then? :-?

No - Ned made a typo :lol:

It's mahogany/maple on the MIJ, with sycamore veneers on the flametops.

Can you imagine how much an all-maple LP-type would weigh? :eek:

:eek: If quality and price are the main issues, I would opt for a MIJ Burney or Greco. The prices are lower than a Tok and they are quality guitars. I watch the market on these and they are an exellent value. :wink: I have found some low prices on Orvilles, many people don't have a clue about the above mentioned guitars. Tokai is the best known and are gaining respect. You can still buy MIJ Toks for a fraction of a Gibson. The MIK guitars are fine, look for a MMSpecial Edition Love Rock they are made to Japanese specs. Happy hunting! 8)

:eek: The one thing about the current MIK Tokai is the "Made for Tokai in Korea" on the back of the headstock. These guitars are exactly the same as the Dillion and Fine line of instruments. So your not really getting a "Tokai made"guitar :eek: TG

Paladin-

Your right definately a typo. I will go back and edit that post so others don't get confused.

Ned

Latest posts

Back