Love Rock with no serial number

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickH

Reaction score
What's the deal with this. I'm thinking about buying a beautiful LR but it has no serial number. The guy says it was imported from Japan and may be a prototype.

What do you reckon?

Agree with Paladin ? I think the first Korean-made Tokais came without any serial number. Check Truss Cover on headstock and check plastic control covers on back of the guitar ... Korean control covers are usually white (MIJ covers are black), and Korean truss cover usually has 3 screw fixing (MIJ has 2 screws). As first approximation, I think you should treat the ?prototype? suggestion as nonsense :-? .

Ian.

The redflametop that I can't keep my hands off came w/o a serial number. I don't know why but probably due to the fact that it's a custom colour or custom order equipped with Grovers. I would seriously doubt a korean origin. It' too old :)

redflame.jpg

OK, well there you go ? there are always exceptions lol :D . AFAIK, the Korean models only date back to mid 90?s, so any Tokai?s which appear to be much older are almost certainly MIJ. One thing is for sure ? Tokai got into a right old mess with serial numbers on their Les Paul copies :eek: . But Mick-H should deffinitely check for the Korean features :-? .

Ian.

That could be a ALS50F. What are you basing the age on? looks or do you know for certain when it was originally purchased?

Here's the big issue - it doesn't actually matter if it's MIJ or MIK as long as you like the way it plays and sounds.

Do we have any other examples of MIJs without serial numbers?

Ned

yes, you're right Ned, it doesn't matter as long as I keep playing it. Anyway, I forgot to mention that it's a solid flametop, so it's definitely not an ALS50 or korean model.

BTW Ian, IAM... WTH is AFAIK :-?

Did the earlier Korean models have a beautiful quilted top? This one does. By the way I've just sent Ned some pics of my 84-ish breezysound with a tortoiseshell mahogany top which is a belter.

Yes, ? I believe it?s a large spiney fish, right? Either that, or a type of riveted metal panel used to form steam engines. Unless you were thinking of Liouville Space S|m,m?><m?,m| = 1 ? well that is AFAIK :lol: ?

Ian.

Ian

What the bollocking hell are you going on about???

Put that funny cigarette down!!

Lol :wink:

Hmm,? yes quite right, not much Tokai content in my last post eh :roll: ?

OK, back on topic ? yes, many MIK & MIJ models have a "beautiful highly quilted top", but the flame is invariably a veneer (except on LS320, at $3000). Nothing wrong with veneer, but buyers just need to be aware of it. So, ... did you get a look at the TRC & control covers yet? That should tell you if it's MIK :-? .

Ian.

How about this if you like quilt http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3752163914&rd=1 :-? .

Ian.

I reckon it's a MIK as the TRC is a three screw job. Sounds like I've been spun a bit of a line there.
Never mind as my footnote says "Experience isn't.....etc".

Hopefully Ned will get to post the pics of my tortoiseshell tele by the end of the weekend so whilst I've made a bit of a faux pas :oops: re: the LR, I defy you not to be in love with my 84 tele

Well that?s why these Forums (?Fora?) are useful ? cause we get to swap info & help each other avoid mistakes (except maybe that MIK was a killer guitar, ? well maybe). I learnt a heck of a lot here, on LPF, TDPRI & especially on 18watt.com ? only trouble is I?m turning into an ?anorak? ? spending too much time looking for ?chew marks? on 50?s Gibbo?s & not enough time playing lol. Hey, I?m bound to love the Tele ? I love all Tele?s (almost all) :-? .

Ian.

To be honest it's cost less than the price of a new MIK LR and looks great, I'll let you know how it plays.

as Ned has said as long as it sounds the businesss then love it for what it is.

Ned has now posted my breezy on the pics section, so like a proud father at his kids graduation wha'd you all think of her!!

Thanks Ned

Eh,? where is the new pics section :eek: ? Post a link here maybe :-? ?

Ian.

It's here mate.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-pictures.html

Ah, yes .. so it is, ta! Well, what a cracking nice Tele 8) ! Killer top :-? .

Looks like the models shown in 84 & 85 Cats. (from memory), and that date seems to fit with headstock shape & decal. L-serial neck plates used by US Fender from late 62 to 65, split-post Klusons & flat top knobs of similar date (ie originally 57 to 67), although the non-ashtray bridge plate with 6 saddles is copy of later US Elite-Tele models from 83 onwards :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back