Intonation Problem with LS75 Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominik

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a newbie Tokai owner and recently bought a LS-75 Love Rock. The guitar arrived today and I was quite happy with the sound of it, but witnessed some intonation problems.

I then tried to set intonation but failed completely. This is not my first guitar, albeit my first Les Paul style guitar.

I cannot get the low E and A string to intonate correctly. Seems like even the harmonics up the 12th fret are out of tune with the open string.

What am I doing wrong? I have the saddles all the way to the nut/neck on the low E and A, but still the note is flat.

This is a 2001 Made in Japan Love Rock.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dominik

Hi Dominik,

First make sure you're not going the wrong way (I say this from experience). If the fretted 12th fret note is flatter than the open string, you'll want to make the string shorter, so move the saddle closer to the nut. However, make sure the pitch changes in the anticipated direction if you move the saddle the other way (just to make sure you're not dyslexic like me)!

Secondly, sometimes if you need a little more room, you can obtain this by turning a saddle around in its slot, changing the position of the highest point of the saddle.

If you've gone as far as you can, and the saddle is oriented to your best advantage, and you're still out of tune, I'm sure there's more to be done, but I just don't know what it is (yet). (Although you'll want to make sure the entire bridge is properly seated and can't move up or down the length of the string when not under tension...)

Good luck,

Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks for your reply.

I have thought about swapping around the saddles of the offending strings, but have yet to figure out how. :roll: :oops: :roll:

The guitar came with 10s, but I guess the nut was cut for 9s, since the D-string is not correctly going through the nut. I might swap it for a bone nut, but for now I really want to address the intonation problem first.

Cheers,

Dominik

The string is almost certainly hanging up in the nut - sometimes the nut is not cut at an angle that will allow the string to sit up on the peak of the nut towards the frets, rather it peaks towards the headstock.

Dominik said:
Hi Scott,

thanks for your reply.

I have thought about swapping around the saddles of the offending strings, but have yet to figure out how. :roll: :oops: :roll:

The guitar came with 10s, but I guess the nut was cut for 9s, since the D-string is not correctly going through the nut. I might swap it for a bone nut, but for now I really want to address the intonation problem first.

Cheers,

Dominik

I highly recommend a nut replacement for any new MIJ love rock. If you get it done by a tech he could probably throw in a setup at the same time and help you out with your problem, or advise what else needs to be done.

Back