Buying a goldtop from Kens Guitars Japan?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassyndrome

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

greetings from australia. I've been a long time lurker of this forum after catching a glimpse of a beatiful Tokai somewhere, so thanks everyone here for providing much advice and knowledge on these wonderful guitars :D
Anywho, I'm very close to commiting to purchasing a goldtop LS-70 from Ken's Guitars in Japan, who I found off the registries links section. Just a couple of queries..
1. Anyone here dealt with Ken?
2. Am I right in thinking this LS-70 is a full Jap spec, correct headstock, standard tenon, mahogany-maple cap guitar? And it should have a full poly finish right? Has anyone seen a goldtop tokai in the flesh before? Goldtops are so cool and I just want to make sure they have the whole 'vibe' right, and not that horrible greeny-gold that Epi's have :cry:
Thanks for your time

simon

I have a 1981 LS-80GT and its a fantastic guitar, the gold looks real, the headstock is the correct shape, the dished top looks authentic, its just a magnificent guitar, im not sure about the new ones, the Korean models ive played have left me very uninspired and ive not played a new Japanese model but theyre ment to be rather nice.

I have no experience with the seller you mention so i cant comment, i found my goldtop in NZ. :)

Surprised there aren?t more replies, since I think several guys here have bought from Ken, & several have GT?s. I fail on both counts, which is why I didn?t offer an immediate reply. From what I hear, Ken is excellent. I?ve never seen a Tokai GT in the flesh, so can?t say if it looks better than Epi. Don?t many old faded Gibbo GT?s have greenish tint?? some discussion of that on Les Paul Forum. I expect the guitar is MIJ, although Ken would confirm of course ? check his photos; MIJ should have 2-screw truss cover (MIK has 3-screw), and rear cavity covers are black (MIK has white covers), I think most MIK models are designated ALS (whereas MIJ are just LS). Hope that helps a bit :-? .

Ian.

gassyndrome said:
1. Anyone here dealt with Ken?
I haven't dealt with him personally, but I've heard good stories about him. He seems a good seller, but I thought he didn't sell (new) Tokais anymore?

gassyndrome said:
2. Am I right in thinking this LS-70 is a full Jap spec, correct headstock, standard tenon, mahogany-maple cap guitar? And it should have a full poly finish right?
If it is indeed a LS-70 from Japan, you're most likely right on all accounts. Mahogany back is usually 2-piece (though I understand they are sometimes three-piece, be sure before you buy) and maple the top is 2-piece.

gassyndrome said:
Has anyone seen a goldtop tokai in the flesh before?
I haven't seen them in the flesh but on the pictures they look well different from Gibsons to me. The finish seems more beige/sand color than gold to me, and there also seem to be less "metallic parts' in there. Mind you - this is just based on pictures I've seen, but based on those the Tokai gold looks different to me. I always figured this had something to do with the fairly unique mixture Gibson uses for their GT (I think they dissolved gold metal flakes in a transparent lacquer or something)

Can't help on the goldtop question but I have bought three Tokai strat replicas from Ken and am very happy - great service, accurate and honest descriptions, all in all a gentleman :D

I've never seen a Gibson gold top in real life but I saw a Tokai goldtop the other day and it looks the same as any gibson pic I've seen

I don't about the goldtop Tokai, but Kens is a very well known store here in Tokyo, and I'm sure you would not have any problems buying from them.

Bill

Back