An idea for Love Rock owners (borrowed from the LPF)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
I can't find the thread on the Les Paul Forum any more but I thought I'd share this tidbit with everyone.

Basically, the thread was advocating using a second thumbwheel on tuneomatic bridge posts in order to reinforce them and prevent them bending with time. Screw the two wheels tightly together and you also make it harder to knock them out of position when you take all the strings and the bridge off.

Not so useful with modern Nashville bushing posts but with ABR style screwed-into-body posts (ie. MIJ LR's) it's a great tip. Allparts' ABR post/thumbwheel sets fit the tokai posts and cost about ?6 for a pair.

I've done it to mine now, so I'll post a pic when I get the chance.

Here's one recent thread about it...

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77098

Best wishes,
Ian

mupps said:
Paladin, Thought you had locking Tone Pros hardware?

Yup. The advantage of the double wheels is that it strengthens the posts to stop them bending, not just the stability aspect.

It looks pretty cool too. 8)

Paladin2019-double.jpg

Note the white duct tape on the G saddle to stop it rattling. Got to get that sorted at some point...

Paladin2019 said:
Basically, the thread was advocating using a second thumbwheel on tuneomatic bridge posts in order to reinforce them and prevent them bending with time. Screw the two wheels tightly together and you also make it harder to knock them out of position when you take all the strings and the bridge off.

Locking the two thumbwheels together to prevent them from turning when the bridge is off is one reason for having two, but the original idea is that the extra wheel is tightened down against the body to prevent the studs from leaning toward the neck, which happens over time since they are just screwed down into the wood. The extra thumbwheel keeps them standing up straight.

Bill

Yeah that's a real good idea - I might do it to my LS80 soon. I get the impression the bridge is somewhat tilted anyway, but might as well make sure it doesn't get worse. I think Dan Erlewine also mentions it in his book 'How to make your electric guitar play great'

Note the white duct tape on the G saddle to stop it rattling. Got to get that sorted at some point...
Have you tried superglue? I haven't tried myself, but I read on the LPF that ABR-1s tend to rattle a lot, and that drop of superglue on the screws (and maybe parts of the saddle too), will stop pretty much all rattling. If you ever want to set the intonation again, the superglue will probably 'break' and allow adjustments again.

ArthurS said:
Have you tried superglue? I haven't tried myself, but I read on the LPF that ABR-1s tend to rattle a lot, and that drop of superglue on the screws (and maybe parts of the saddle too), will stop pretty much all rattling. If you ever want to set the intonation again, the superglue will probably 'break' and allow adjustments again.

I've just had that suggested to me tonight as a matter of fact. :lol:

I might try clear nail varnish first - a common thread lock solution and not quite as permanent as glue. It seems to be holding well enough on my schaller straplocks.

Back