Old Tokais vs the new ones

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freaky

Reaction score
I've heard that older tokais (fender vintage reissues) are better then fender originals. How about the newer tokais? Are they comparable to them?

Most early 80's MIJ fender-a-likes, including Squier, were better than most of fender USA's 80's output. They have got their act together now though, so it's not really a fair comparison any more.

I'd have to say I'd probably take a 'real' Japanese Fender over a modern tokai.

If price were no object I?d choose a US Fender. Although I expect a truly objective comparison would show only small differences. Fender Japan & Fernandes also make good copies. However, if you?re looking around $400-$800 then the early Tokai gets my vote as best quality & best tone for your money :-? .

Ian.
ps:- I don't like new guitars, so I'd stick with old ones. 8)

Well price depends on date & model number (& sellers pricing policy), but I?ve seen 1984/85 ST50 model Goldstarsound Strat?s & Breezysound Tele?s selling on eBay as low as around $350 ? ha?, now you?re going tell me you?ve lost interest because they?re too cheap lol :lol: ! On the other hand, an early 1979 ST80 Springysound Strat or Breezysound Tele (with ?7okai? logo) might set you back $750 or more. 1984-85 is a watershed, because after that the shape of the headstock was altered & the guitars no longer look like exact replicas (although still fine players). Just in case I was too vague/guarded above;- I?d definitely buy the Tokai (unless you?re going for a vintage US Fender at $x-thousand) :-? .

Ian.

Thanks ian!
cool... well i'm poor guy so fenders are too much expensive so i'm looking for good alternative. for me, the shape of headstock is not important as the playability and tone. It doesnt have to look like fender, i'm just in quest for a very good (underrated :lol:) guitar for about 500$.

So i just need 2 know differences in quality & tone on different tokais.

and i want a stratocaster :)

I already have one cheeeap jackson copy (hss), one hand built thinline telecaster (built for me by my friend), but all my guitar heroes play on a strat... any recommendations?

Hi freaky,

if you want a stratocaster, you could have a look at Goeldo, and in the left frame click on "Diego Guitars". You can't buy at Goeldo direct, but Rockinger, sells them - and for a price less than that on the Goeldopage.

The Diegos are very fine guitars. Also fine guitars are the Rockinger 5-minute-kits (on the rockiger-page klick on "Showroom", then on "guitar kits". They go for 465,- Euro for a strat. These are not really kits, you just have to tune them. :)

I know both very well, good bang for the buck.

Have mercy

Joe

I`ve seen plenty of US Fenders here in Japan and even bought a few... though always when they were on sale as I hate paying asking price...but since I discovered FJs and other MIJs, particularly70s 80s and a few 90s models, I can`t see paying so much more for s guitar simply because its an MIA Fender or Gibson. Ther are too many Japanese makers who did it better and continue to out shine the original US big two. `course being n Japan I`m exposed to a lot of stuff that never makes it out of the country but the on line shopping makes much of whats available to me available to those with access to a computer. Again, since discovering the wonderful quality of the older MIJs, I have not even been tempted by 99% of the new guitars I see... that 1% is reservred for MIA makers that seem to be doing it right... Grosh, Lentz, Baker among others, but now we`re approaching an entirely different price range.

Tone & feel can be pretty subjective, and people have different views about it. If you have a good guitar store nearby then obviously the best way is to play a few Tokais vs. other guitars & see what YOU like best - in the end it?s your opinion that counts :-? . If not, then eBay always has a good selection, eg ?Mackelchea? currently has a nice looking Goldstar http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3717875245&rd=1 (which model? Trem arm missing?) :-? .

Ian.

well i live in serbia and there are no tokai distributers here. :cry: I'd buy a guitar via ebay without trying it...

EBay is fine, as long as you deal with good honest sellers & check everything carefully. Check seller?s feedback, & see if previous sales were for guitars or for other irrelevant items. A good clear set of photos is essential, especially headstock & logo (& ideally, internals too). Original details inc. ?U? & ?V? stamped pups, saddles stamped ?Tokai? or ?Final Prospec?, Kluson-style slotted tuners stamped ?Tokai? or ?Deluxe?, neck & cavity markings in form ?ab=cd? (ie where a,b,c,d, are numbers from 1 to 12, eg ?5=12?).

Always email seller to check frets, neck, action, originality, working order, confirm model number (eg ST50). Confirm guitar is MIJ & not Korean (unless you want Korean), confirm condition & postal costs, be aware of any import taxes for Serbia. Check detail of seller?s description against info. in Tokai Registry :-? .

Ian

You could also give Rondo Music a try - their Agile guitars are superb value for money. I just bough a gorgeous Gold Top w/p90's for $349 one piece body & one piece neck, and the body is mahogany - unbelievable !!

I?ve never played a Korean Tokai (never even seen one), so I can?t say whether they?re better or worse (or same). Many have bought them & like them, others here don?t like them. Not sure when Korean manufacture began, but it?s relatively recent ? all the old Tokais are Japanese. Try a search on ?Korean? & you?ll find plenty of discussion about it. But I?m not sure what relationship Tokai Japan has to Tokai Korea; others here may know more about that :-? .

Ian.

I e-mailed Tokai with questions about Korean and Japanese production, the response back was that they were proud to be building in both locations.
Korean guitars these days are getting better and better, my Korean Love Rock is a truly great guitar, but then so is my Washburn HB35 and my Agile AL3000 gold top, also both made in Korea. I read a lot about substandard electronics, and multi-piece this and that, but the sound out of both Les Paul knock-offs can't be beat IMHO. I did, however replace the pups in the Washburn with Classic 57's, as the stock pups were pretty thin sounding. Both the Tokai, and Agile are in the same league as the 57 equipped guitar, in both output and tone (obviously they all sound unique in their own way). This is a great testimonial to how good both the Tokai and Agile are as stock, as the Gibson 57's are about as good as you can get. Maybe I have been lucky, but to me the proof is right in front of me.

Korean guitars i general have a thoroughly undeserved stigma attached to them. Low-end mass production techniques are miles ahead of what they used to be, so any guitar costing ?200+ has the potential to be a very serviceable and enjoyable instrument.

Most MIK guitars are built by cort/samick and if you look at their own-brand stuff it really beggars belief for the price. At ?500 and over their gear is very serious competition for just about everything else in the price bracket.

Back