Put Tokai sub-lists back into one, please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I would like to suggest that we put the 3 new lists that have been created recently (< 1985, > 1985, Korean) back together with the general Tokai discussion list.

I come here often to see what the latest Tokai talk is about and having to go to 4 separate lists is a pain. IMO, it seems that this sort of specific list arrangement is impeding creative discussion, too. There don't seem to be as many posts as before (I've got no data to prove this, just a feeling about how often I would come and check things out).

Any thoughts?

-- Bill

I agree, I preferred the old way as well. I feel the number of posts is low enough to just use a single sub-forum.

Hi Bill,

I agree, on both counts. Categories now too diffuse, lacks focus. And yes, it seems far fewer posts now. Loverocker used to reply to almost every question, so that that?s one obvious loss. What to do? Well, I?d return the original categories. Maybe add a category to stimulate participation, eg eBay sale alerts (good or bad), try to motivate long-time participants ? I know many here wanted more categories, & I respect that (Lee?), but I just don?t think it works. Just my 2-cents :-? ?

Ian.
Ps; - Bill: - I'm due in Philly in August, my first time in USA :lol: - folks there tell me it will be hot (I'm no good in heat!) :eek: ? it?s actually my wife?s business trip; I'm just tagging along looking for nice old guitars (& antique blue/white pottery) 8) !

Its a real shame that Barry no longer contributes. I have just seen 2 Tokai's come up on Ebay that I presume are his.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3716884272&category=2384&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3716885083&category=2384&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Something/someone must have really p****d him off here !

I'm wondering if the Korean owners were getting a little tired of being told how crap their guitars are - just an observation

Let's get a few more opinions on this subject and I will act this weekend (make changes).

Compared to the UK Philly will be hot in August, probably mid-high 80s and humid. Grew up outside of Philly (extended family and sister still live there) but compared to Texas it will be cold.

On the reverse. I definately need to plan a trip to England/Scottland.

Ned

fine the way it is. it's only another mouse click or two...

Its a good idea, but seems to be slowing down postings. I don't think we have enough traffic, or specific interest in the categories created, to justify the extra pages right now. The 'sightings' page could be renamed 'sightings & ebay alerts' and maybe the 'vintage' page could stay, but that's all IMO. :)

Nik Lloyd said:
Its a real shame that Barry no longer contributes. I have just seen 2 Tokai's come up on Ebay that I presume are his.

Something/someone must have really p****d him off here !

I think he's still on another forum I frequent (I'm not going to approach him about it, he obviously wants to leave this place behind him) but the manner of his leaving and the sale of these guitars hint to me of something bigger than the one prat who tried to start a flame war a few weeks back.

I would think, as we were all friends here and Barry was such an important member, that we deserved at least a 'goodbye' :oops: :cry:

I actually like the new format. The new heading format is good for info surfers who are looking for specific info on their guitars and can check past posts and info rather than raise the same query over and over again. So although it may be more awkward for new postees, it is a lot more user friendly for people looking for Historic info, and it helps to narrow their search parameters down. This may be one reason for the drop in new posts, as It could be cutting down the repeat "how old is my Tokai?", "how much is my Tokai worth?" posts.
Just mho
Nik

:( I don't like the new set up at all! I have stopped visiting like I used to! Please for the love of God !!! change it back! :lol:

I compromised. Left the vintage section and moved the modern and Korean sections back to Tokai Guitars. Also left the "Other" area for Greco and Burnys, etc.

Ned

ned said:
I compromised. Left the vintage section and moved the modern and Korean sections back to Tokai Guitars. Also left the "Other" area for Greco and Burnys, etc.

Ned

Good change, Ned! Really the best of both worlds, I feel :)

I guess you can blame me and to some degree Barry for making a few suggestions to Ned about changing the site layout.

I had a conversation with Ned via AOL one evening and put our suggestions over. This was a couple of weeks before our dear departed Loverocker pulled his posts.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that most of the regulars have had a say in how the site should look. In fact, I was hoping your opinions would have surfaced sooner.

I'm only interested in "vintage" Tokais so the new layout is welcome. So, right now?it's looking good Ned :D and easy to follow.

I for one won't be leaving. I'm pretty busy these days and finding time to post is difficult sometimes......hey, I do have a life away from the PC Guys :wink:

Hi Lee; well I hesitated before making any negative comment, because I knew you were keen to see additional categories, & I really value your input here (well I valued Barry?s input too, but it didn?t prevent him escaping!) :-? . As long as Ned?s willing to do the work (thanks Ned, it doesn?t go unnoticed, truly) then I?m sure we can settle on a ?one size suits all? arrangement. Incidentally, if it looks like I?m currently posting lots of long replies, it?s because I?m trying to make up for any temporary loss of ?traffic? - can?t replace Barry?s knowledge, & I note Tokaiguy saying he?s losing interest, but I?m willing to take a few risks if it helps to keep things active :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back