Korean Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy Pete

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know where there's a good source of info on the current Korean range of LRs? www.tokai-guitars.co.uk covers all the Japanese stuff, but I'm presuming the Korean range is more limited, especially for us south paws? I did contact them for a catalogue, but all they had was basically a print off of the website, so again, all Jap. Just want to be able to see what options there are.

Hi Pete,

Don't bother.

Forget the Korean versions - driftwood. Get yourself a nice used "Made In Japan" Tokai guitar. Better still look out for an older Love Rock on ebay or on the LOOT.com website.

These are nothing to do with me, but I've picked out some typical Japanese Love Rocks out that are currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706641384&category=2384

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=37http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706619250&category=2384

Agree with Oldflame - first one from Samspad69 (1980, LS50) looks pretty good to me (even inc. original HSC!). Must be realistic about condition of 20 year old guitars of course - always email seller to double-check everything yourself, eg straight neck, frets OK & buzz-free action etc. :-?

Ian.

Problem is I'm a leftie, and leftie Loverocks never seem to come up. I'm on a budget that doesn't stretch to a Japanese model (4 kids take up most of my cash!), and the Harmony Central reviews of the Korean models look pretty good - I guess you guys have had different experiences though, so perhaps I should reconsider.

Aaah, the harmony central review database... simultaneously the most useful and most hazardous buying guide on the internet!

Pete,

A lefty. Never enough choice for a lefty.

Hang on a little longer and see what comes up. I'll keep my eye open for you but they can be few and far between.

OK Pete, that?s a darned good answer - 4 kids & no spare dosh, understood! And far fewer left-handed guitars on offer, used or new ? I take your point :lol: .

Well, Korean Tokai has plenty of good reviews & many happy owners (just a few complaints re poor fit & finish).

Although, if you watch eBay for a month or two you should find a really nice early 80?s lefty LS50 or LS60 for the same price as new Korean LS70/80 (ie full cost inc. shipping & tax if imported) ? personally I have a strong preference for older Tokai, but that?s a contentious subject, hornets nest :-? LoL!

One big advantage buying Korean in the UK; you can try it before buying ? that?s worth a lot :-? !

Ian.

Here is a way of getting what you want {info on lefty MIK LR's} go to the members list, look up stratdeluxer and contact him directly. His name is John, we called him Fireman John. He has a MIK lefty and has made some awsome changes to the electronics, He knows his stuff! A great guy who has left {us for his own reasons} He has photos and info on all the upgrades! :wink: TG

I've had at least two real Les paul owners put my TKM Love Rock through it's paces up against their Les Pauls - soundwise and action wise there was very little difference. I have gigged for over a year with it , we play every weekend and practice during the week. The guitar looks beautiful, I can't find a flaw anywhere in it - maybe I was lucky. This has been the best $450 I have ever spent. Korea is turning out some of the best guitars out there for the money, check out the Yamaha AES620, the Brian Moore I series, Washburn HB35s - they are all superb. I'm sure there are bad Korean and Japanese guitars (there was a recent post of a very disappointed Japanese LR owner), mine is not one of them.

I was wondering what happened to stratdeluxer? If I remember rightly he came in with a bit of a bang and then just seemed to disapear. He definitely knew how to customise a guitar though.

:( He has some issues with our beloved Ned, I have tried to get him to come back but he is a stubborn guy. The strat mods here on the Registry are his , he feels somehow dissed. Hey, I stay out of the political stuff. I live in a house full of woman and I am a master of keeping the peace! :D I spend a lot of my time above the garage in my playroom! :wink: TG

:D I do'nt know how I would survive without it! It's full of sound equipment, amps, guitars and a wide screen TV with surrond sound! It took me six weeks to figure out how to get the Strat bar that I bought from the Dallas Hard Rock up there but we did it! I put a sensor on the back door of the house so I know when someone is coming, not because I'm doing anything wrong!! it's because when the music is on and your back is to the door you can have the **** scared out of ya when someone suddenly shows up! :-? TG

tokaiguy said:
:D I put a sensor on the back door of the house so I know when someone is coming, not because I'm doing anything wrong!! :-? TG

With a big telly and a sensor system...... I would be :wink: :oops:

Latest posts

Back