ls80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Reaction score
hello, new here, i've lurked a bit. a few months ago i owned a gibby 58ri which i could not bond with. i'd been familiar with tokai for some years but had never bought one.

a month ago i bought a reborn old, 1980, kind of an ice tea burst. i can't tell you how pleased i am with this guitar. so much so, that i've bought a 1980 love rock today. it's on the way from japan so i don't know everything about it yet,,,but if it plays and sounds as good as it looks, i'll be a very happy camper.

anyway, i'll nose around and learn a little. if anyone has any particulars concerning the 2 guitars i've bought, i would appreciate any info. thanks.

having been in Japan for the last 10 years I must say there is no lack of scammers here as well. Be careful. I have had to return a few guitars because they were not what they were represented to be by the sellers. Living here it doesn`t cost much to return them but for you guys overseas...
I ask a lot of questions and get as many pics as I can. I want to see the fretboard and neck on those older guitars. I ask about mods done to the guitar... you probably know this, but we have this idea that the natives are all honest... not so. The locals now know how coveted the older MIJ`s are , prices are on the rise and even the chain shops are not immune to misrepresenting their goods. Not asying all folks are like this, just enough to make me wary.
I must add I have bought several older Grecos, a couple of Tokais and Fender Japans on the Japanese web and am very happy with them. Hope your new one works out for you.

yes, i know the market is "funny" these days. i have a good japanese friend, a collector/player of vintage gear, vetting them for me. they get shipped to him prior to coming to me. we get all the info possible, with many photos prior to purchase.

i've put the reborn old into the registry, and a link to a photo of it as well. it's a nice guitar,,,if the love rock checks out, which i think it will. i'll put into the registry too.

thanks for the warning.

yeah have a 1978 LS60 LP Reborn that is great. Someone had changed the pick-ups to Duncan Alnico pro II`s and added 3 pull up pots for a variety of sounds. This thing will certainly outlast me. When I`m too old to hold it any longer... it`s a heavy sob... I`ll sell it, but not before.
It`s good to have somebody here scrutinizing guitare for you, cuts through the BS. I`m in Sendai, 2 hours north of Tokyo by bullet train, with only one pawn shop that I know of that sells guitars. Needless to say, I`m there a lot... but sometimes just for a couple of minutes... it`s small and if they don`t have anything I like, I`m out the door. Going 3 or 4 times a week is the best way of finding the gems... before another buyer does. I have had great luck with Fenders from Japan as well.
Nice to have you aboard the good ship TR.

yes, i can do that. would you like photos as well? i haven't gotten the love rock yet, my japanese friend tells me i'm going to be very happy with it tho. once i have it, i'll forward the info.

Hi Barry,

No, apparently not all ? eg, when I bought that LS60, I was also looking at a 1980 Love Rock LS80 which had double ring tuners (SN was correct for year;- I asked your advice about those 00 numbers, remember?). Two weeks later the same guy had a second almost identical 1980 Love Rock, which again had double rings. Seems like they were fitted to most Tokai Les Pauls in 79 & 80 (at least up to LS80;- not sure about LS100 & above). Are we sure Gibson never used those? Are those tuners made by Gotoh, do you know if they were specially made for Tokai? I think they look neat, a sort-of rarity defining the early years 8) , but maybe not so clever if style is wrong for Gibbo :eek: .

Ian.

the reborn has double ring, and the love rock single. i put a photo of the reborn old in the registry. i'll copy it over here. hmmm, maybe i won't. :p
can't seem to get a photo or url posted here. anyway, it's in the registry.

you may have seen the guitar already, it was on japanese yahoo a while back.

Hi Barry,

Eg;- ?Katana? currently has a 1980 Love Rock on eBay, ie with those double ring tuners (#3703658537) :-? .

Ian.

My LS80 Reborn has double ring tuners - 1980.

Greco shared a lot of parts with Ibanez in the 70's as they came out the same factory as I undersand it.

i've looked at 2 lp reborn and they both have 2 piece necks. what's up with that?

In the January issue of the Japanese Guitar magazine, there was a write up on Gibson Les Pauls. On a chart that have a pic of a late 60` LP with double rings. Confirming what was stated by loverockerUK.
My LS60 has a one piece neck apart from the wings on the headstock.

no, 2 piece, as in a center seam running the length of the neck. the reborn old i have came with the 3rd and 4th tuners repalced. they were also double ring but had different colored buttons. my japanese friend sent me the bridge, tailpiece, and tuners from his 68 goldtop....they are double ring tuners and now reside on the reborn old.

he is a very good friend. he converted his gold top to a paf guitar. he bought a set of pafs for it. he has another 68 gt tho.

one of the owners of the lp reborn is the original owner, it's a very early guitar, and when questioned closely he sticks to his story about a 2 piece neck.

Back