Help needed! Wrong High E-string position

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markku

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm about to buy a lefty Tokai Goldstar strat but what makes me hesitate is the position of the High E string. On the first fret it's ok (Low E and High E are 3,5 mm from the edge of the fingerboard) but on the 12th fret the High E string is only 1 mm from the edge!!! while the Low E is 4 mm from the edge. String easily slips over the edge while playing :cry:

This Goldstar is cream white and from 84' - 85' (at least that is what I think):
- "lawsuit" headstock with "tokai goldstar sound, the quality instruments of the world, oldies but goldies" in it
- Tokai not 7okai
- Deluxe tuners (button type)
- Final prospec on bridge
- Under the pickups, there is U V (green backing plate, magnets goes through). Are these Tokai original pickups?
- Neck has 7 23 on it and the pickup cavity has "7 23 ow x" on it (should be original neck)
- 5 position switch

Neck seems to be straight (there is no gap where the neck attach to the body) and the brigde seems to be in original position.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks, Markku

I got a hint from a guy who sold me the guitar. This used to belong to a right handed guy (Henrix fan) and must have loosen the neck bolts and bended the neck to get a max space for his High E (mine Low E).

So I bent it to other way and now the strings are almost equally placed.

I have never owned a bolt-on neck so that's why this dazzled me...

Regs, Markku

I've had to this a few times with my Fender Strats - Charlie Chandler, & more recently Simon Pinder, our local (but world-famous) luthier, sets them up (after a re-fret or whatever, I play out a lot & go through a set of 6105 frets in a couple of years!) with the strings smack down the middle of the neck. :roll:

I prefer more room to bend/vibrato the high e-string at the top of the neck, & very rarely touch the low e above, say the 15th fret, so I have to loosen (don't unscrew 'em all the way) the 4 bolts, put the guitar over my knee (upside down, strings facing me) push the upper "horn" up with my knee while pushing down the headsock & tail end of the body, and re-tighten the screws (it helps to have 2 sets of hands to do this!).

Then it's time to hook up the Peterson strobe to re-adjust the intonation.

Occasionally the neck will 'jump back' to where it was after a couple of hours, & I have to do it again, but usually if it stays in the right place for over 48 hours or so then it's set there till the next time it's dismantled.

A little inconvenient, but no big deal.

Simon seems to have got the message now, & my Fender Japan CandyApple Strat came back with the strings off centre towards the bass end last time, just how I like 'em 8)

Thank god my '81 Tokai Love Rock doesn't have this problem!

Bill, Hong Kong.
http://homepage.mac.com/cybercat/

Back