Tokai LC-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yippy-Ki-Yay

Reaction score
Any info on early 2000's Tokai LC-80's would be highly appreciated..

Couldn't find any reviews or much info online.. The guitar says it's made in Japan. I'd assume these are the very low end of Japanese made Tokai's.

How do they stand the test of time? Anyone gigged or recorded with them? Are they duds or race horses?

The finish must be poly - do they have long tenon maybe? The guitar looks and feels nice, but am not sure about the resale value in the future.

Also, I checked out one sg-75 from the early 2000's as well - any experiences or reviews on them? Same thing, not much info online.

The mid range of the Japanese Tokais are all very similar spec. The differences tend to be cosmetic - solid vs burst finish, plain top vs flame top, etc. In the case of the Customs you obviously have gold hardware, block inlays and all the usual Custom trimmings. Are you after any specific specs? The website attached to this forum has the catalogues from back then. The SG you found would be a similar standard.

The early 00's were a time when Tokai was having a bit of a resurgence, at least in Europe, and they were quite popular and highly regarded during this era. I've got one which is now 20 years old and it's the best guitar I own.

The finish is thin poly. Nothing wrong with that, it's used on a lot of modern high end electric guitars. The tenon isn't long, it's medium - it extends to the end of the neck but not into the pocket. It's longer than a production line Gibson and it has the same benefits as a 'true' long tenon.

Back