Where did you Brits buy your Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
Where did you buy your LR?

I am currently after a new CSunburst model with a 50's fat neck and I was wondering where you went shopping? In the South West there are zero distributors so a special trip will have to be made to somewhere, but where???

The only shops I have seen stocking them have either had the odd second hand one (which alas were not for me) so I am trying to find a music shop with a nice range to try out....

Second hand, new, I dont mind - indeed if anyone has anything to offer please let me know. Reborns, LC LS, not Strats or anything else. :)

Hi 8Bit,

The Tokai Registry has a list of dealers, inc. a couple in the UK (eg Wizard). Could also try Regent Guitars in Leamington Spa. and the well known ?Andy?s? in Denmark St (just noticed Barry mentioned Andy's too - won't find any at Chandlers though).

Personally I just wouldn?t buy another new guitar (maybe I'm also allergic to dealers :eek: ), so my last 2 were both old models from Japan via eBay. Of course that way you can?t try before buying, although both of mine turned out to be immaculate & they both play superbly (just need to be carefull, & ask questions :-? ). In particular, I have to praise Hiro at ?JapanOldGuitar? ? he was great to deal with & totally trustworthy, and he often lists Tokai?s on eBay (still competitive even after Vat, Import Duty, & shipping). Hope that helps.

Ian.

Well, I got mine from Guitar Universe in Japan :lol:

Wizard guitars seemed nice enough when I contacted them, but didn't buy from them in the end.

Regent guitars I've used many times. Reliable mail order, first class service and their tech is a genius. I've actually made several round trips from Cardiff to make use of their services.

With regard to Japan, how do the figures work out, import and customs and excise etc?

How much extra do you end up paying and was a JPEG enough to go on or did it take any phonecalls etc...?

I would be somewhat scared about wasting a load of money on the wrong choice....

Hi 8Bit,

Your concerns are legit :- buying sight-unseen/unplayed from Japan or USA obviously carries risks, inc. possible damage in transit. And maybe not much advantage for new guitars. Different for old guitars:- I found little choice & high prices in UK shops, much better via Japan/eBay.

LS60 I just bought from ?Japanoldguitar? worked out like this (from memory):- price of guitar approx. ?350, shipping ?70, UK Vat & Duty (approx. 4%) ?100, so total approx. ?520.

Need to be realistic about damage & wear on old guitars - check sellers feedback, check description carefully re. originality, wear to frets & fretboard, general damage, function of pups & tuners etc, full set of clear photos essential ? email seller & confirm all aspects. Note that ? is currently at record high Vs. US $, so a good deal if you buy now :-? .

Ian.

With customs etc., buying new in Japan costs about as much as buying over here. Only you'd have to add extra for a hardcase, plus there's the 'unseen' factor, potential customer service nightmare halfway across the world in another language, difficulty of returns and risk of damage - mine arrived with some minor lacquer cracks for example (hey, I can live with that).

Unless you're buying a secondhand bargain (but then, why would it so cheap? :wink: ) or a model not available in your home country, I really wouldn't bother. Mine was an LS200 which at the time couldn't be found over here, though apparently they can now. I saw the pics and specs and something inside my head just went BANG! - here was my dream guitar. I had to own it no matter what. I guess jpegs were plenty, though I had played several tokais extensively in local shops and knew roughly what to expect from the brand before I found those details. I don't think I'd ever import something like that again though, having been through it once.

I'm considering selling one of my LS70F's, 1999, Indigo Blue, SD '59 neck & JB bridge, plus Schaller straplock's fitted. Hardcase included.

I'll be thinking about it for a while, but I'd rather offer it here first, before putting it on Ebay. UK only sorry.

:cry:

Hi

There is the WHOLE range at Gamlins music in cardiff south wales.. .....i recently tried a few there and they are very helpful

www.gamlinsmusic.co.uk

hope this helps a little

p.s......why don't you import one from a seller in Japan on ebay????....i recently bought a wine red 94 custom from katana guitars whcih was a minter........even witht he shipping of 70 quid i only paid an overall price of ?450.............try getting one of the customs here int he uk for that now!!!!.

also take a look a the stunner of a custom on ebay. the orville by gibson custom in wine red, it's ace

shaunfreak said:
Hi

There is the WHOLE range at Gamlins music in cardiff south wales.. .....i recently tried a few there and they are very helpful

www.gamlinsmusic.co.uk

They used to have a 2003 Relic too. Great guitar.

I wonder how some of the sellers from Japan make a profit... I`ve seen some of the guitars they bought on chain shop sites and know how much they paid, then how much they sell for on e-bay... they`re not making money. I question how long they can keep it up.

I only know of one decent music shop. Holiday Music in Leytonstone east London but they don?t sell Tokai?s. The last time I visited Denmark Street I was placed on a ventilator for a week! :-? So, most of my guitars have come via LOOT or of late, ebay. That includes US, Japan, Germany and the UK.

You gotta know your onions when buying used. Over the past 10 years I?ve made several trips around London (it?s a big city, lots of traffic!) for what was supposedly a ?solid? flame top Tokai Love Rock only to discover a laminate on my arrival.

?Look here; can you see that thin layer of wood Mr. Seller?? :evil:
?Ohh yeah, I see what you mean. Sorry mate.? :eek:
I walk away :cry:

So you takes your chances. eBay is potentially worse because close inspection is only to hand when the guitar arrives at your home. By then it may be too late. For example, this looks like a new logo to me. Note the ?Oldie-Goldie? placed high up near the top E tuner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375529605&category=47069

Then again I could be wrong, It was 5 to 5 one Friday night at the Factory and Hiro wanted to get away sharpish so he slapped the logo on.

So it?s about making an informed judgement on what you know about the subject. I must say that I have had great fun searching for guitars and amps over the years. I?ve been both jubilant and thoroughly p*ssed, lucky and ripped off. Buying private is fun and you get to meet like minded people and the occasional a**hole (like the guy with the Steinberger?s in Ealing - :x ) and it cuts out the middle man too.

I guess we need a Tokai book really.

Depends where in the Southwest you are 8bit - but if Oxford is not too
far then you could try the guitar gallery - they have every model going.

http://www.oxfordguitargallery.com

Oh and with regards to dodgy decals:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700198927&category=2384

Can't see much point in buying from ebay when this starts happening
you have to have the thing in your hands to spot the fake.

GB

Hi Guitarboy,

It's lucky we're not buying dressed up Tokai's posing as old Fenders then!

That reminds me of an article in "Vintage Guitar Gallery" magazine a few years ago. The guys at the Fender Custom Shop restored an old Jaguar that had been stripped of all I.D. and butchered by some dork. They restored it to all it's former glory in a nice Candy Apple Red with matching headstock, a few of the original parts and some reissue bits. And what did they stick on at the end? Yup, a new but correct logo for the year.

I've said before that there is nothing wrong in restoring your old Tokai. However, dressing up something to look like a Tokai :roll: that's something else.

I guess this is the kind of thing we should be pointing out to eachother here that may help us steer clear of the scams out there. They are very good at highlighting scams on the LP Forum. Perhaps we should have a "Spot the Scam" heading on the main forum.

Ned?

I've met Dave at the 'OGGy' shop. He had a go at selling a couple of guitars and an amp for me. He's seems like a nice guy... :D

me too! 8)

Yeah OGG are a good bunch, Dave's really into tone and quality
the only thing you have to watch out for is going in for a Tokai
and coming out with a PRS!
:lol:

With regards to faking I agree, set up a forum where suspects can be scrutinised by all.

maybe call it ...

7akie guitars ?

:wink:

GB

Sound Control now stock new Tokais, and the manager of the Bristol branch is a great friend of mine. People knock them, but they are cheap, have a HUGE stock and can get most things!

Rupert street in Bristol city centre.

PS their website is rubbis so don't bother!

We should definately be keeping track of the good, bad and ugly eBay sellers. One of the great things about this community we have built is keeping watch for each others back.

I have been very please at the level of professionalism on the board. Very little verbal attachs on bad sellers just pointing out the facts of why the guitar is mis-represented.

Ned

Back