1980 Love Rock LS50 with Dimarzios?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haavo1970

Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 "inky" Love Rock (SN: 0100595). From research, it appears to be a late September 1980 LS50 model. The seller told be it was an 1981 model. The strange thing is it came with double ring tuners, and a set of Dimarzio PAF/Super Distortion pickups. It has a 3 piece plain top, the back I can't tell, it looks like it could be a one piece. I have not checked the pickup cavities yet for any markings. My question is, was it possible to order a LS50 with Dimarzio pickups? Of course it is possible they were added later at some point. From what I have seen, the LS150 was the only model that came with those pickups.

Thanks for any help!

Does it still have a circuit board for the electronics ? Many swap those out and if they don't like the pups swap them out to while they are at it. My 81 ls120 has Dimarzio pups of some kind. Double cream.

Yes, I have the circuit board for the electronics. The board, pickups and tuners were replaced, but the seller included the originals. I can tell the Dimarzios are a PAF/SD set as the SD has the hex head pole pieces and the PAF has the slot head screws. They certainly look 40 years old. The guitar now has CTS pots and Fralin Pure 59 pickups. It plays and sounds great.

I would be surprised if they were the original pups since they are not still in the guitar, a lot can happen in 40 years. I'd say it's a bonus you got some old Dimarzios included in the sale. I'm not overly familiar with the inkies mind you, or old dimarzios but as far as I know they only made LS 50 and LS 60 models.

This is a great reference.
http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

It's really hard to say, though the guy I bought it from did say he pulled out the Dimarzios and replaced them with the Fralins. I'm just curious if an LS50 could be custom ordered with Dimarzios or were they installed by a previous owner. Probably will never know for sure.

From Peter's book.
For 80<81 8 ls models ls 50 to 120
Ls50 60 has 2 or 3 piece body all the rest are 1. but the joints are so good, it's hard to find.
Ls50 has multi piece top gotoh or tokai humbuckers
Ls60 2 piece top
Ls100 had Dimarzio paf

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-1980-catalogue/

Latest posts

Back