Which of these Tokai would you chose?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenshin1988

Reaction score
Hey guys, I stumbled across these two Tokai Love Rock guitars that seem like pretty sweet deals. If you had to chose between the two, which would you pick and why?

LS150f I think?

https://reverb.com/item/32805112-tokai-ls150-premium-mij-nitro-finish-deep-tenon-neck-solid-2-pc-maple-cap-1-pc-mahog-body-neck

LS98F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Tokai-LS98F-guitar-Excellent-Condition-Made-in-Japan-Cherry-Burst-Flametop/124076816593?pageci=290ccc32-928b-4248-b2e4-0de071731783

8) LS150F is a real cool guitar! probably the coolest from the recent years, LS320 series & LS150F. the both were made by mr.kunishi furuhashi/tokai CEO/tokai-japan and its figured mapletops are very quality. when you can buy one of those japan-premire series than the japan-standard series, then go for the premire series ofcourse. they have the deep joint neck and lacquer finish and a lovely brown hard-case. i think you can be so happy with LS150F!

HAMAMATSU said:
8) LS150F is a real cool guitar! probably the coolest from the recent years, LS320 series & LS150F. the both were made by mr.kunishi furuhashi/tokai CEO/tokai-japan and its figured mapletops are very quality. when you can buy one of those japan-premire series than the japan-standard series, then go for the premire series ofcourse. they have the deep joint neck and lacquer finish and a lovely brown hard-case. i think you can be so happy with LS150F!

Hey Hammamatsu. Thank you for the information. I appreciate that. My only concern with the LS150 is that it has been modded (atleast the pickups) so I'm abit concerned about how much modding. The price is much lower than others I've seen, it is abit strange.

That particular 150 was discussed on the forum very recently. It's had some pictures added which prove it's the real thing.

The 150 is a higher spec guitar with features that can't be modded (lacquer finish, long tenon etc). For that price it's definitely a better deal if you can stomach the condition issues. The low price reflects this.

In the end it's up to you but they would both make you happy. It's worth noting that the 98f has some tweaks as well, the truss rod cover has been swapped for example.

Paladin2019 said:
That particular 150 was discussed on the forum very recently. It's had some pictures added which prove it's the real thing.

The 150 is a higher spec guitar with features that can't be modded (lacquer finish, long tenon etc). For that price it's definitely a better deal if you can stomach the condition issues. The low price reflects this.

In the end it's up to you but they would both make you happy. It's worth noting that the 98f has some tweaks as well, the truss rod cover has been swapped for example.

Hey Paladin,

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. The condition just looks like a few bumps and bruises so not super worried about that especially for the price. I actually reached out to the seller about the guitar because the listing ended. I felt kinda strange about his response. Not sure why he is worried about paying for a setup.

"Hey there, I ended the listing because I havent played it in a while and prior to ending the ad , I waant happy the way it played and talked to my guitar guy and he mentioned it probably needs it annual setup.. Then again I am completely anal about the way the guitar plays.. Anyway, I was just waiting for my Pennsylvania to open back up so I can take it to him. Obviously the price would reflect the setup cost which would be $60 more.. Ill message u when its listed. I have a guy in Pittsburgh thats offering a 66 SG Melody Maker and $200 case for it"

Very strange answer. Why would he care about a setup if he's selling it? The new owner will obviously have their own setup preference and would have to fork out that money again to have their own work done.

The guitar may be legitimate but the seller is clearly someone to be cautious about.

Latest posts

Back