Need help identifying this LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McAdam

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify this for me? I've searched for weeks for ways to determine the exact model and age but with the serial number being as worn as it is, I'm assuming it's a fake with a "made in Japan" stamp just out on for looks. Any help would be much appreciated!

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ljx7DGg

Wow, i don't know what that is. A lot of photoshop going on there maybe ?? There is an 80 on the last fret in one picture and in another pic the end of the fretboard has nothing. The serial number is not like MIJ Tokai i know. The Made in Japan Stamp started in 2003, the stamped fretboard ended late '80 ?? the routing doesn't look clean but they have it covered in copper lol. Pups are not original. Its a 3 piece top but one of the pieces isn't even straight hahaha. It really has just a little of everything that could be wrong to the eye. The horn looks more like a Greco. Is this a joke or is someone selling this ?

No joke and no Photoshop, I bought this used from a local seller who didn't know anything about tokai guitars. I knew it wasn't stock but I wasn't sure what to think from the serial number being what looked to be just wiped clean off.

Well nothing points to it being a Tokai. I see a 80 on the last fret imprinted in first picture and then on the pic with the pup out there is no marking on the last fret ?? The horn looks wrong for a tokai but that could just be the angle and the serial number although faint is wrong.. Do you have any pics of the electronics cavities ? That fretboard looks like it has knots in it ?? Newer Tokai have that Made In Japan stamp...after 2003.

Its a real puzzler.

Where do you hail from ??

I think it's real, but it's been modded within an inch of its life. Literally all the hardware looks like it's been changed, right down to the pickup rings.

That top join would never happen on a burst finish and the back colour looks wrong. Goldtop refinish maybe? Something's been done to the finish to make the serial look like that.

Actually i just recalled i'd seen something like this before on a different forum. Well a similar serial number font anyway.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/tokai-serial-number-oddity.375023/

Back