Is this a high end Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenshin1988

Reaction score
Is this a really premium high end Tokai? If so, looks like a pretty good price. Looks to be on the newer side though. I've heard not so good things about Tokais quality these days compared to vintage.

https://reverb.com/item/32805112-tokai-ls150-premium-mij-nitro-finish-deep-tenon-neck-solid-2-pc-maple-cap-1-pc-mahog-body-neck

Kenshin1988 said:
Is this a really premium high end Tokai? If so, looks like a pretty good price. Looks to be on the newer side though. I've heard not so good things about Tokais quality these days compared to vintage.

https://reverb.com/item/32805112-tokai-ls150-premium-mij-nitro-finish-deep-tenon-neck-solid-2-pc-maple-cap-1-pc-mahog-body-neck

As far as I can say, quality control in Japan has not reduced.

It's definitely a MIJ, made in 2005. The flame top looks right to me and the wear & tear suggests a softer lacquer finish, but there are some potential red flags. One, there are mods - pickups, truss rod cover, could there be anything else which muddies the waters? Two, no fret edge binding. Maybe it's had a refret (see point 1), maybe it came like that from the factory (I think a few did in the early days of the premium series).

If you want to be sure you're getting a 150 I would request pictures of the neck pickup cavity and control cavity. If it is a 150 it's a really good deal, if it's a mid-range model it's on the high side but I still wouldn't say it's a rip-off.

I have a Love Rock from this era which is flawless. You'll find vintage snobbery everywhere in the electric guitar world.

I wouldnt class that as high end .. the flagship model in 2005 was the LS-380, so this is more of a mid range model..

if your in europe dont forget the 25% import duty...

That's actually a special order 2005 LS150F.

It's a little beat on for sure but i think its still a good price. It's basically a R9 without nibs. I have one and i have to say its in a class by itself. My '81 LS120 is a bit easier to play. Too bad its missing the HSC.

Here's mine

CoDNAHH.png

villager said:
I wouldnt class that as high end .. the flagship model in 2005 was the LS-380, so this is more of a mid range model..

if your in europe dont forget the 25% import duty...

Thanks Villager. Would you suggest a better alternative?

I think that's genuine, and a decent guitar for the money. Lovely solid (ie non-veneered) maple cap with subtle flamed finish, and the variety of dings captured abs shown clearly.

Only issues I would have are minor - there's no picture to confirm its a one piece back, and the ad mentions a 'Deep tenon' neck.

My LS65 has what I believe is the Short tenon neck - and the two look identical. Maybe just an error in terminology..

iaUUKOUh.jpg

Not sure about the subtleties of the differences between the mid-range Tokais, but with the flamed maple cap and Nitro finish - it's a higher spec than the lowish end LS65 or LS105 models I have.

In terms of Quality btw - I took my (low-end) 2002 LS65 into the best pro I know for a set, and he said that is a cracker LesPaul - as good as any I've had in here :)

If I were in the market for a(nother) non-ridiculously expensive Love Rock which was a little above the common herd - and that one were to come up locally, Id buy it!

Back