How do the pickup selector and knobs work on Tokai 3 HB guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesNippon83

Reaction score
I just bought this!!!!
https://reverb.com/item/27344052-tokai-usg-65s-no-gig-bag-no-hardcase

I am so fucking happy. This is my first new guitar since 1999. I had decided to get back into playing 3 or 4 months ago and with things being how are they are, now is clearly the perfect time for it.

So the info I am getting on specs says 3 way selector with 2 volume and 2 tone. I have no idea how these controls are oriented.

Also, I would love some general guidance and info on three humbucker guitars and SGs specifically if possible. Thank you so much in advance.

I don´t have that guitar but if it´s wired like a vintage SG Custom the controls are the same as in a vintage LP Custom, namely bridge and neck positions are "normal" (that means bridge and pickups only) while in the middle position bridge and middle pickups are in parallel.

Middle and bridge pickup share a volume and tone pot, while the neck has independent controls.

This configuration is quite limiting and a lot of LP Custom owners rewire the circuit in order to have three independent non master volumes in the middle position (as to blend the three pickups as they like) and one master tone.

eb7281ed9e09d4f1c2c894664e7085d0.jpg

Jimmy Page used almost exclusively a 1960 LP Custom with three pickups and in order to have the same flexibility he added two switches:

JkpxGSmZ5WhL-lgvZ8I3SK1L9ylB6eQfaEBW1LJk89YgVqTX3j0bgI7KLpEPwdbuMx86YjGo1NanURJQFoOjbaHpuhxc_TFrhnzd-T8TapxF74NNc7O-u826miDOVCnt3Rn99Dc

For the 2007 replica of that guitar they developed a new 6 ways "magic" switch that allows 21 sounds (including out phase pickups) that you can here, but the circuit is much more complicated!

https://www.freewayswitch.com/

Latest posts

Back