Identifying a 2010 uk tokai thats not in the catalog

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
I have a 2010 tokai thats not in the catalog so having trouble identifying it.
I bought it as an LS 135 and dont have any reason to believe it not, but would like to confirm.

Its got the long neck tenon.
Its a plain top, 2 piece and a one piece back ( the picture of the back has a rough line that i thought was a join, but closely examining the end of the guitar and under the pickups shows its a one piece, ill take better pics to confirm this.
Its got CTS pots ( no picture)
I believe the headstock shows the UK dimple.
Aluminium tailpiece with brass saddles.
Serial 1022368

The part i cant identify:
- its a matte finish, cherry sunburst. I cant see matte finish in any catalog.

I can provide a serial number but all that shows AFAIK is that its a 2010 guitar.

Appreciate pointers on how i might get more info.

I had have some 2000s LS with model inscription in the bridhe cavitie, older ones had it in neck cavitie but some modern ones I have found is in the bridge on the opposite. It is not your case however... It is a bit rare. Would it be a refinished one? I can see how there has been a tape but peeled at some time...Just guessing.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Its definitely not refinished. its always easy enough to tell a refin even one carried out well. Looking in the cavities i know its not refinished.

It's a factory finish. Tokai have done matte finishes from time to time but they are not a regular feature of the catalogue.

Most of the ones I remember were coded MVF (matte violin finish), I don't remember seeing one in matte cherry so this is an interesting example.

The guitar itself looks to be a vintage series (mid-spec) plaintop model (medium tenon, no fret edge binding) but the CTS pots are an anomaly. If we had a picture of those we could tell if they were factory fitted or a mod. Is that the original bridge as well? Looks like brass saddles and ABR-style construction, again unusual for the mid-range.

The pots may not be original. The first owner did require it, something about not liking logarithmic pots on the volume but wanting them in tone, or vice versa. He said he did not replace the pots though so I have to take him at his word.

The bridge and saddles are original.

https://www.livingmusicstores.com/products/tokai-vintage-series-ls129-cs-plain-top-lp-style-electric-guitar-cherry-sunburst

This is the exact finish, but this guitar is 2020 where mine is 2010 so I'm guessing the model will be different and why some other specs differ.

Latest posts

Back