Shiiping guitar from Australia to USA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I have a Tokai guitar coming to Australia in a few months (probably May 2020 or so). It is coming directly from Tokai. They cannot ship their guitars to USA because of the Gibson thing. Anyways, I know there a several guys from Australia here. What is the best way to ship from Australia to USA? It is coming EMS from Japan to Australia so I guess the local post office will be delivering it. I can get the exact weight and size when Tokai ships it. If I could purchase the label online that would be the best way. Then I could just forward the label to my relative in Australia. Basically the guitar gets to her house the she hands him the label to ship to me. No fuss that way. Is that possible in Australia? Or is there a better way to do this?

I never heard Tokai wouldn't ship a guitar to the States, or anywhere.

If there's any kind of problem just have them mark it as "used".

Easy peasy

Can you still ship guitars into the USA easily enough from overseas - or do those CITES restrictions come into play for individuals as well as companies ?

There's got to be someone on here who could act as a go-between, if that's what you want.
I'd help if I lived in Oz.

CITES does come into effect on private sales from reading on other forums, seems OK if the guitar age is pre CITES but from after. Neck removal isn't required but a good box is.

My Wife's parents live in Australia. So that is the go between. I have had tokai ship my 4 guitars directly. They have no problem with shipping me Fender or PRS type guitars. The lawsuit in the 80s or attempted lawsuit. I am not 100% certain how that played out. Anyways, Tokai cannot ship Gibson type guitars from Japan to USA. I deal directly with Shohei Adachi (president of Tokai). So, I know this is the truth.

Anyways, my question what what shipping company should I use from Australia to USA? UPS, Fedex, DHL will be too expensive. I am sure the local post is probably the best option. Or is there something else you guys in Australia use for guitars to ship internationally?

PS:

CITIS is gone now. That finally went away about 2 months ago after 19 years or so.

Also, I think I forgot to mention the guitar is BRAND NEW fro Tokai. It is being custom made for me right now. I have had 3 custom guitars made by Tokai they take about 6 months to make with the lacquer coating.

Good news on the Cities (except Brazilian Rosewood) Shipping via a local company usually fails if you don't know the partners that they use once it leaves the home country, it could end up being handled by your least favourite delivery company :(
Having shipped various things around the world, two things stand out. A damage safe box and a reputable handling company. I used UPS to collect my sister's goods n chattels from Guam some years ago, expensive but we got everything back safe and they even went into the house and packed the things. Shipping via sea is cheaper but slower. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Tokai does a fantastic job packing the guitars they ship. They double box them. Plus it will be in a hardcase inside the 2 boxes. I had one guitar sent from Australia to the USA before. I cannot remember how it was shipped though. But it was reasonable. So, I guess the local post office. I guess UPS is not out of the picture for using. But if any of your guys do live in Australia what international shipping company do you use?

Latest posts

Back