Love Rock 2 - Controls / Coil Splitting Function?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Alan-

Reaction score
I own two of these guitars, so should know the answer.. :oops:

The Love Rock 2 has two humbuckers, one master volume control and one master tone control. Each of these is a push-pull type.

Is the functionality:

1) The master controls are push-pull - with each one splitting one humbucker into single coil mode ?
or
2) One push-pull control switches both humbuckers into single-coil mode and the other reverses the phase between the front and rear humbucker ?
or
3) One push-pull control switches both humbuckers into single-coil mode and the other changes the pickups from working in series to working in parallel ?

I thought the answer was 1) above, but after reading something elsewhere suggesting otherwise - I sat and worked the switches through all permutations to the point where Im not sure I can trust my ears any more :(

Can anybody confirm exactly how the controls on this model work ?

Ok. Dunno if these crappy iPhone pics are going to be any use, but here goes:

The LS105Q:

CwkALuYl.jpg

General shot of the cavity..

M4i1sKVl.jpg

Back of bottom (tone) push-pull control..

YRRS7NGl.jpg

Back of upper (volume) control..

UthAQWpl.jpg

OhIfZfkl.jpg

Back of 3-way toggle switch:

Hope they're some use :)
Thx, Alan

They certainly are.

You have two coil splits, one for each pickup. The volume splits whichever pickup has the brown wire, the tone splits the one with the black wire.

My guess would be that the volume splits neck and the tone splits bridge, but to be sure you'd just have to look at the wire colouring... or use your ears!

It would be a simple job to wire it up in any of the configurations you mentioned above with your existing hardware, just by moving a couple of wire around.

Ah - it's coming back to me now, that's actually the original specification: volume splits the neck, and the tone splits the bridge :)

What added to my confusion is the the other LoveRock2 I have was retrofitted with Irongear humbucker sized p90s by the previous owner. With no coils to split, he had the loom modified to allow the push-pulls to toggle between series/parallel wiring for one, and toggle in and out of phase for the other.

As an aside, despite disassembling most of the guitars I've had at some stage for one reason or another - that's the first time I've ever even had a cover off that blue guitar. Something about the build quality that suggested 'stop - just leave it alone, its perfect'' perhaps :)

Hey - that's great, very much appreciated Paladin, and thank you!

On a related but slightly different note...

I have a spare set of LoveRock Humbuckers I want to fit into another guitar.
The pickups have the following wiring colours:

White - Black
Red - Green

I know the White and black wires are fitted to one coil, and the red and green to the other. Can anybody tell me which are the positive and negative wires for each coil ?

Thanks,
Alan

Hopefully this article will help if no one knows the answer.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/electronics/how-to-determine-the-color-code-for-a-humbucker-r35/

I have some old Maxon? made V2s I'm going to use one day and I can't find the wiring code for them either.

Well if it's any help to anybody - I ran the diagnostic checks as described in the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzBPxKpvq0

and can confirm for the two sets of Tokai humbucker I have (one pair off a c. 2004 Love Rock 2 and another pair of uncertain provenance but believed to be off a MIJ LoveRock) the colour coding is as follows:

Coil with the pole screws visible:
Green +ve
Red -ve

The other coil with the hidden slugs:
White +ve
Black -ve

The impedance of each of the pairs of pickups was different, probably because one set is off the LR 2 which is voiced for the coil split tones, and the other off a bog standard Love Rock. But note that the wiring codes were the same. Hope this is a bit of help to somebody out there :)

Back