What model of tokai sg do i have and is it fit for some mods?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre11q

Reaction score
Hi, if someone can help me with two simple (i guess) questions it would be awesome:

1 - first, i would like to know what model of tokai sg i have, although i believe it is a tokai sg 43. I bought it second hand and the guy told me he got it in a portuguese store around 2015. It had a sticker saying 'made in china'. I will leave the link with a photo of my serial number and the official tokai link for the model i think i have

my serial number https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nWXqlOIiAK_uRF_M9dIJyCSUfVLKz79J/view

tokai link for sg 43 http://www.tokai-guitars.nl/tc-sg43.html

2 - then i also need to know if this guitars can handle mods like most sg's (i know nothing about modding a guitar). Namely if it is fit for parts from a gibson sg (for example), since i would like to fix some tuning and fret buzz problems (new tuners and maybe other bridge/saddles ?), while keeping the action as low as possible. Also would it be fit for p90 pickups? I really need to know how to take the guitar to the next level.

So if anyone finds the time to help i would appreciate a lot !
Cheers

2011 chinese made sg43.
Have it setup correctly before doing anything else, otherwise you will not know what direction to go.

although it got a setup like 6 months ago but maybe something happened to the neck with the temperature change because i started hearing some fretbuzz, and also the guitar doesnt keep tuning very well. Maybe i will ask the tech to put better tuners and ask what else can make a real upgrade.

well i have been tightening the truss rod to try and eliminate the fretbuzz around the top and bottom frets. I still have to spend one day or two adjusting the rod and the action but right now the rod is almost flat (i can barely see the bow towards the center of the neck) and the action is higher than the desirable (on the 1st fret is 0.75mm on the 6th string and 0.5 on the 1st, on the 12th fret is 2.75mm on the 6th string and 2.5 on the 1st). I suppose i will have to raise the action to eliminate the fretbuzz (which now i feel in pretty much every zone of the fretboard) until i take it to the tech. Also the strings are getting hard to press so beside raising the action i should probably reduce the tailpiece angle, i dont know.
Basically i havent been able to keep low action without fretbuzz.

Thanks for your help !

Wierd figures on the first fret, are you measuring it correctly by fretting the 2nd fret? The figures for the 12th are too high as you say. Without seeing what is going on, I would check the nut to first fret and adjust then set the relief, followed by the bridge height. See Dan Erlewine's website and youtube video's

Back