I finally became a very unhappy Tokai owner.

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Re: I finally became a more or less proud Tokai owner.

Post by HAMAMATSU » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm

8) gibson 1957 les paul custom has a 1-piece mahogany body so yours should have it too if its a good copy of it like the one jimmy page played. the kurosawa original description says so but yours looks to have a 2-piece mahogany body like LS235, the japanese premium class les paul custom with the premium specs but a 2-piece mahogany body unlike the original 1957 gibson les paul custom with a 1-piece mahogany body. yours is a kurosawa special based on the LS235 so it probably has a 2-piece mahogany body like the LS235. its unlike the original gibson 1957 les paul custom but tokai makes the LS235 with a 2-piece mahogany body. kurosawa might have ordered it with a 1-piece mahogany body originally but it probably didnt go that way since it was based on the LS235. so the original kurosawa discription says its a 1-piece but actually has a 2-piece mahogany body like the LS235. now kuroswa changed its description by your email. drop the 1-piece mahogany body and to 2-piece mahogany body. your guitar is very high quality but your shopping has become mistaken by kurosawa. there might be something you could do if kurosawa is honest. hopefully they do.

@ LS235 specs here.

BODY : Mahogany One Piece Top
Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK : Mahogany One Piece
Set-Neck Deep Joint
FINGERBOARD : Ebony
RADIUS : 300R
FRETS : 22F ♯213
SCALE : 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE : HLS-VB(Brass Saddle)Bridge
HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
TUNERS : Gotoh SG301-04
NUT(width) : Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY : Block(Mother of Pearl)
PICKUPS : PAF-Vintage MK2×2
CONTROLS : 2V.,2T.,
3way Toggle SW
POT : CTS
SWITCH : Switchcraft
CONDENSER : Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS : Switchcraft
FINISH : Lacquer Finish
COLOR : WR

Price : 258,500 yen(Include Tax)
With Hard Shell Case
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm

cuthbert wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Please allow me to clarify my previous post in which I stated, "top looks like maple to my eyes, from looking at the walls of the pickup routes."

The top on that guitar is MAPLE.

There, I clarified it for all here.
A = Alnico :lol:

Well, the reason I like PAFs is because they are the most single coil sounding of the buckers - Possum

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:02 pm

It's a general rule with Tokai customs that Wine Red is Mahogany, and that Black is Maple capped.

That being said i'm sure there are Black Tokai customs that are all Hog. They would be the exception to the rule though.

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 am

HAMAMATSU wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm
8) gibson 1957 les paul custom has a 1-piece mahogany body so yours should have it too if its a good copy of it like the one jimmy page played. the kurosawa original description says so but yours looks to have a 2-piece mahogany body like LS235, the japanese premium class les paul custom with the premium specs but a 2-piece mahogany body unlike the original 1957 gibson les paul custom with a 1-piece mahogany body. yours is a kurosawa special based on the LS235 so it probably has a 2-piece mahogany body like the LS235. its unlike the original gibson 1957 les paul custom but tokai makes the LS235 with a 2-piece mahogany body. kurosawa might have ordered it with a 1-piece mahogany body originally but it probably didnt go that way since it was based on the LS235. so the original kurosawa discription says its a 1-piece but actually has a 2-piece mahogany body like the LS235. now kuroswa changed its description by your email. drop the 1-piece mahogany body and to 2-piece mahogany body. your guitar is very high quality but your shopping has become mistaken by kurosawa. there might be something you could do if kurosawa is honest. hopefully they do.
Hello Hammatsu san,
I wouldn´t be bothered if the body were in two pieces of mahogany (that means it there is a mahogany cap) but since they didn´t reply to my specific question (if the top was maple) BUT since they updated the description stating there is a maple top I think they mislead me, as I bought this guitar because I wanted an all mahogany LP.

Again, I don´t think they are honest as they didn´t answer me not even to apologise for the wrong job description and offer me a partial refund (again, this is not a cheap Tokai, it´s one of the most expensive), also they didn´t answer to my previous point regarding the blemishes of the guitar (misalgned pearl inlays, black paint on binding, the neck volume pot that does not work)...in short I am seriously disappointed and I feel I have been deceived.

I cannot ship the guitar back as I already spent $600 of import duties, but at least they could apologise and offer a discount.
JVsearch wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm
It's possible that white looking part in the pickup routes could be wood filler that gets put on before the colour coats.
You could try sanding it a bit to see if you get through to some brown wood.
That was my hope, I wrote to Tokai (they didn´t answer) and to Kurosawa to ask them if the can confirm it´s maple, the fact the updated the spec list adding a 2 pieces MAPLE cap tells me the other user is right and they are in bad faith.

P.S. I also edited the title of the thread, I am a very unhappy Tokai owner. I also post here a pic of the third blemish: the black paint on the neck binding. Definitely less important than the maple cap but at this point I think Tokai´s reputation to build LPs better than Gibson is definitely not deserved.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Re: I finally became a very unhappy Tokai owner.

Post by HAMAMATSU » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 am

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/produc ... c230s.html

8) if your guitar is based on LC230S then the top is a 2-piece maple top. not a 1-piece mahogany top of LC235. real sorry to hear your bad experiences this time with tokai and kurosawa. tokai is usually very good with the customers but they may not be able to reply well or sure in english. kurosawa is usually ok but they are also very weak in the english communication. i understand your heavy dissapointment so i suggest you to email to the tokai CEO mr.adachi directly. he is known to be very friendly and helpful with his foreign customers. he uses the english well i guess. also, try to email the kurosawa headquarter office, not the shop. they may then respond you ok. again, sorry to hear your ^&*( experiences with the japanese this time. japan is still japan but not like they used to be anymore in many ways lately.
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:46 am

QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:49 am

QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:16 am

8) usually the japanese guitar shops dont have any well-english speaker so when they recieve the email/call in english from the foreigners then they just be whatever???. so email or call their headquarter office and talk to a sure-english speaking person. then you be ok! good luck!
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:40 am

HAMAMATSU wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:16 am
8) usually the japanese guitar shops dont have any well-english speaker so when they recieve the email/call in english from the foreigners then they just be whatever???. so email or call their headquarter office and talk to a sure-english speaking person. then you be ok! good luck!
Actually the two shop clerks I exchanged mails had a good command of English, they were very polite and seemed professional. This is also another reason why I am disappointed...and the fact they changed the listing of the other KLC345BB the day after I wrote them makes me think they understood my last message very well.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:13 pm

I should have said it often takes Tokai 3 -4 days to get back to an email query. I have had to email them a couple of times about non serial Tokais i have etc... they did always get back to me. Now with the Corona i would imagine it might take longer.

schmintan
Guitar God

Post by schmintan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:33 am

Youre taking off pickups just to look for flaws!
Sell the guitar, you're never going to be happy with it.

To my eye, thats a mahogany body with a maple cap. There looks to be paint on some of the maple within the cavity, but not on other parts so it just happens to look like a second layer. Il put 50 quid on that being a standard maple top on a mahogany body.

PAV Vintage pickups are always going to be tokai branded pickups, thats what tokai call their pickups. to expect them to be something else is just silly.

But regardless of all these disappointments, you bought a guitar based on what was probably a google translation and are now unhappy some of the description that was lost in translation didnt match expectations.

The guitar is soured in your mind now, you will never be happy and always feel cheated. Return it, swap it, sell it because it wont bring you joy.

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:56 pm

schmintan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:33 am
Youre taking off pickups just to look for flaws!
Sell the guitar, you're never going to be happy with it.
Just to clarify,
I removed the pickups to check if they were branded Gotoh or if they something else, I was curious. It was interesting as they are described as Tokai products therefore I wonder if they are made in house...for the record they are very good, I planned to replace them but I changed idea.

Having said that the discovery bugged me because this "custom model" is $1000 more expensive than a LC203S or a LC235 (the latter in all mahogany), having already spent $600 of custom duties I don´t even know if I can ship it back and in Europe selling a $2600 Tokai is quite hard as for that money you can get an used Gibson. Plus I didn´t need to remove the pickups to see the flaws on the fingerboard.

In conclusion, I am very unhappy, I cannot sell it, I doubt I can ship it back without losing even more money...I am in seriously unpleasant position.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:06 pm

8) talk to the kurosawa international headquarter office only, not with the shop anymore. it doesnt matter how much it cost already but this is totally the kurosawa's fault and responsibility. if they dont treat this ok then its their sin really. so talk to the intl office, the email addy given above. i am sure they do the right thing this time. kurosawa isnt bad usually. they are usually ok/good. so please try. and hope its ok then. good tokai luck!
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

Hodge69
Guitar God

Post by Hodge69 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Sorry you’ve been ‘misled’. I can’t help, but reading your story reminded me of a similar situation my cousin got into with Fender.
He bought a USA Strat via GAK. He’d chosen the guitar because of the spec (can’t remember exactly), but when it arrived it didn’t have the solid steel tremolo block, as promised.
There were other differences, too, (parts made in China) and the whole thing became a farce. Fender offered to change things on the guitar, including the block, but the new steel one didn’t fit!!!!!!
After 3 months of emails, etc, the guitar was returned and refunded.
Seems that sometimes, companies manage to fulfil their orders by ‘utilising other stock’.

I think you should dig your heels in and get what you asked for.

Hodge
Who put the bop in the bopshuwopshuwop?
7okai did.