Breezysound stock pickups - any good ?keep or upgrade ??!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
I’ve got my brothers tokai breezysound on permanent loan as he never plays it .i don’t know the model but its an MIJ 61 custom style bound body type with the newer style headstock , probably about 15 years old.

I’ve had a few love rocks , but I’m new to telecaster style guitars . I’ve got a really great quality wiring loom to put in with all new pots, switches , nice pio cap and cloth covered wire. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the pickups At the same time . It’s a lovely guitar and I’m keen to get the best out of it . As I’m new to single coil guitars I’ve got no idea if the pickups are worth keeping or upgrading as I’ve got nothing to compare them with .

I’m interested to know what people think of them and if they think they’re worth an upgrade or not .

I have an '84 on loan with only the bridge pickup in it, as an "Esquire" and it sounds very good.

My 1980 TE-80 has a Dimarzio PAF in the neck, so I can only speak for the bridge. The way I'd describe it is "raunchy". I A/B'd it a while back against my Kelly tele with Duncans and Lentz tele with stock pickups, and to my surprise the Tokai sounded best to my ears. So IMO no replacement is needed. I'm sometimes curious about the stock neck pickup and if I shouod hunt one down, but the old Dimarzio PAF sounds really good in the neck too, so it's staying.

Back