2002 MIJ LoveRock - help with further ID ?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

-Alan-
Guitar God

2002 MIJ LoveRock - help with further ID ?

Post by -Alan- » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi, bought this a couple of days ago. Pretty sure it's a 2002 model, albeit with retro-fitted Seymour Duncan pickups of some description. A few knocks on it, but I like it (or think I will once I get used to those pickups, of which more perhaps later)

I think the colour is what's known as a Violin finish perhaps ?

From looking inside the pup cavities, the top seems to be a two piece section of solid maple:

and the neck seems to be the 'short tenon' type:

You can see some kind of pen or paint marking in the neck cavity, but there's nothing in the back.

The rear of the body seems to be made of 2 or perhaps 3 pieces of mahogany (I find it hard to tell):

Quite a different sound to my other Love Rock - a 2004 doublecut with the original pickups, 'raunchier' maybe, but I'm still coming to terms with it.

As regards model identification, I presume from the 2/3 piece back, and the short tenon it's not one of the high end models. although the solid maple top is a nice thing. Can anybody shed a bit more light on which specific model it may be - or give me a pointer on what else I need to look for to be able to tell ?

Thanks,
Alan

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm betting its a LS65 in VF with swapped out pickups.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/cat ... i20009.jpg

-Alan-
Guitar God

Post by -Alan- » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm

It looks very like that one in the catalogue alright.

Hard to get a decent pic of the finish as the ones I've taken can vary from looking like the lemon-drop finish guitars, through to a much redder fringed cherryburst and most other things in between.

That particular colour, and the description of the solid two-piece maple cap seems a good fit though.

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:08 am

Agreed, 65 with new pickups and a new truss rod cover. Very nice condition, and the open book headstock shape is a bonus.

-Alan-
Guitar God

Post by -Alan- » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks Paladin.

On a related note, can anybody confirm if these were actually released with a matt/satin finish ?

On collection, mine was extremely dull, but with very little effort has glossed up pretty well - front and rear. I'm wondering whether the dullness was down to years of use, rather than use of a matt finish coat.