cherry red, heritage red, any type of red burst

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite burst on a les paul ?

• heritage cherry burst

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tobacco sunburst

• honey burst

• amber burst

• desert burst

• Total voters

ntune

Reaction score
WHY IN THE WORLD does anybody purchase these ?? ? These are the ugliest colors on a Les Paul, or in any case, for any guitar ????...I just don't get it. It is so just so bad for the eyes, it's like having someone pour salt in your eyes, or eating sour grapes..it is just a really ugly combination. Also, why do people keep putting up these same red burst guitars on ebay? Don't they realize from looking at the other red burst auctions, that they shouldn't have bought one in the first place ?? ahhh..the ugly red burst...gotta get rid of it. ..when did it first come out? What a horrendous color...seriously. If anybody buys one of these, please tell me why...and don't say Ace Frehley ..atleast he's got the cool 3 pickup creme-colored configuration. That's all for now.

I think cherry red is a bit too red, but faded 'burst is the pinnacle of guitar beauty. That's why i bought mine!

EDIT: ****, the guy hosting my pics seems to have shut down... oh well. :roll:

These seem to be Gibson colour designations as opposed to Tokai finish names. My favourite would be "ice tea", which sorta translates to "violin finish" in Tokaiese.

I like the rare oxblood color ? dark with reddish tones ? looks good on a Custom*

They reissue this from the Custom Shop occasionally but not frequently enuf for me :(

*speaking of dark colors, what's black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?

* a Doberman pinscher

Why you ask? 8) $450 thats why! I have two 85'LS80 Flame tops in red burst , a total investment of $450! Got the first one in 99' in mint unplayed condition from a lady at my church. This was her late husbands guitar,complete with Tokai case and hang tag. For a $200 donation to the church it was mine! Then 11 months later while buying strings at the Dallas Guitar Center I saw a guy try to sell his 85'LS80F w case to the store, they really were not interested{too many Epi's}. I followed him to the parking lot and told him I'd give him $200 if he would follow me across the street to the ATM. He needed $250...done deal! Lightning strikes twice! Amber and Honey are my faves, my LS60f is amber and my 92'LP Classic is Honey. Would you have passed these up? Today I recieved my 4th Tokai Japanese Goldstar from Yoshi. Black with single ply and an aged maple neck a gift from Mrs. TG for my 50th birthday November 3rd. I got it today because I was there when UPS arrived!! It's good to marry Smart! :wink:

Excuse MR. TG, you just said your guitars are amber and honeyburst. Where is the red again ?

-MR. Tune (for short)

Hi ntune

Here's my "ugly" :roll: cherry LS60 (now a bit faded, more like tomato, almost 23 years old) -

Tok2.JPG

I think she's beautiful! 8)

Tok1.JPG

why is everybody so dense in here. I was referring to red BURST guitars. By posting up pictures of all red guitars is just ignorant. What a dummy !

:eek: Thats a real beauty! And on the subject of guitar finishes, it comes down to personal preferance, I have never bought a guitar because of the color! All things considered, tone ,playability and vibe along with cosmetics are my standards. And NTUNE, you are new here and we welcome you , but you will find this forum aint a Pissing Contest , we have a great bunch of guys who share a love and appreciation for all things Tokai. When you show respect ,you recieve respect...but don't be diss'n the Brotherhood. We have members all over the globe and if nessasary we will find you at home and introduce you to a bar Soap in a Tube Sock to adjust your additude! :lol: TG in Texas

There are those who know,there are those who don't know and there are those who don't know they don't know! 8) well Mr Tune finally someone has cottoned on, let's hope sunburst prices come crashing down!
Tokaigeezer I like oxblood finish, only seen it on early '50's gibsons though,did Tokai produce loverocks with this finish?

I'm not overly keen on the "red-bursts" myself either. They just look too.....false. If you get my drift.

Obviously though, it's different strokes for different folks.

I always used to prefer my guitars to be black. Though I've kind of fallen off the wagon in recent years, with 1 black, 1 blue, 2 violin finish (one of which is more of a '59 'Unburst), and 2 natural (one of which is a through neck with different woods).

The only thing is, I'm running out of space!

cherry burst is my least favorite color. The `78 LS60 Les Paul Reborn I got yesterday is..... yup, cherry burst. Couldn`t leave it there at the price it was going for... and I`m glad I didn`t. It sounds great.

Just agreeing with sneakyjapan and a few others here.

I'm not fanatical about the finish of my "Clownburst" LS65 but I love the way it sounds and feels. I could not find any violin finish LRs in my area and so I decided to go with the wretched ketchup and mustard colour combo.

I've considered getting it refinished to a more subtle iced tea/amber/violin finish but found out that it would cost more than I paid for the guitar.
I've also thought about stripping it myself but that's probably asking for trouble.

Still, It's not a million miles from some of the 1960 Gibson cherry sunbursts (as seen in "The Beauty of the Burst" book) and I keep telling myself that what matters is the tone.

Get yourself some cheap sunglasses, you'll need 'em....
clownburst.jpg

Hey Prince Bishop

Welcome and right you are. The Custom Shop puts out a quasi-54 model in oxblood, somewhat reminiscent of the Jeff Beck LP:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/Historic/LesPaulSeries/54Oxblood.htm

Perhaps I was hallucinating when I said "Looks good in a Custom," when I really meant that it would look good, and that I would sure like one. Gibson will make you whatever you want for the price of a family sedan, of course. Thought I remembered a small Custom Shop run of oxblood Customs some years back, though.

No idea about Tokai LRs in oxblood. Would be an awesome find!

p.s. sorry about straying off the redburst theme here but then there's my flight of ideas approach to things again ... must really get some help ... :roll:

Latest posts

Back