Replacement Tone pots for 2008 es130

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prudd

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to replace the tone pots on a 2008 es130, want the best quality I can get, any suggestions, do I have to be carefull about the diameter of the shaft?
I'm in the UK.

Thanks

CTS pots are considered the standard for high quality guitar pots. I would advise replacing all of your pots rather than just the tone controls for the simple reason that different makes and models of pot feel different - different torque, different smoothness, different taper. Personally I'd want consistency.

You would have to check the diameter of the holes, but CTS make pots with metric shafts these days so it should just be a case of ordering the right version. This would also mean you could re-use your current knobs instead of buying new.

What issues are you having with the current pots? You may be able to sort things out without resorting to replacements.

CTS, as well as any potentiometer manufacturer has several lines of products, quality wyse.
They have very good quality products, as well as quite low end ones.
Considering Tokai guitars, I'd recommend japanese Alpha pots, which do not have to be shy against CTS ones.

Paladin2019 said:
CTS pots are considered the standard for high quality guitar pots. I would advise replacing all of your pots rather than just the tone controls for the simple reason that different makes and models of pot feel different - different torque, different smoothness, different taper. Personally I'd want consistency.

You would have to check the diameter of the holes, but CTS make pots with metric shafts these days so it should just be a case of ordering the right version. This would also mean you could re-use your current knobs instead of buying new.

What issues are you having with the current pots? You may be able to sort things out without resorting to replacements.

thanks for your help, one of the pots has just stopped working , no crackle, doesnt seem to be affecting the rest of the electrics at all.

prudd said:
thanks for your help, one of the pots has just stopped working , no crackle, doesnt seem to be affecting the rest of the electrics at all.

Not telling you to change your plans but this sounds like a repair job to me rather than a replacement. It may well be a faulty connection rather than a bad pot.

Paladin2019 said:
prudd said:

Not telling you to change your plans but this sounds like a repair job to me rather than a replacement. It may well be a faulty connection rather than a bad pot.

Yes, thanks, I think your right, i will look into it, shame that its such a pain getting to the pots on a 335.

Latest posts

Back