Model #'s and pricing

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what you're saying is, as production prices rise, the lower number models will lose their designation and be renamed with a higher number. I think already the LS75 of a few years ago is the LS85 today - not that it's a higher quality intrument, but because it now costs more.

Hmm...makes me wonder what my '84 LS60 is today - an LS120? :lol: :roll:

Right. In these days of higher inflation it almost seems rediculous to do such a thing as tie the price to the model.

As you might recall from my earlier posts, I was in a quandry as to what exactly I had bought and whether it was a good deal or a great deal. The 'original hang tag' (as the seller described it) had the right serial number but identified it as an LS120. However, using the excellent resources on the registry, I determined that it was actually an LC100 (which apparently would have sold for 100,000 yen in 1982). Now, I would have thought that a Custom would have sold for more than a Standard but in the 82' catalog it seems that there was already an LS200 (which I guess sold for twice as much as my LC100). Now I'm not really much at currency conversion but it sure seems that 200,000 yen in 82' was a lot of money - especially for a 'copy'. How much would a real Gibby cost back then?

true, it was a lot of money. Not sure about the Gibsons back then, but the yen was certainly much weaker than today. Friend of mine whose been here for close to 20 years says the exchange rate was something like 300 yen to a buck when he got here. It closed at 120 today.
They sell some Baker guitars for 800,000 yen right now... or try to. Won`t be getting one of those.

Hi guys,

The rate in 1984 was 380yen to AU$1.00
The TLS200 retailed for AU$2200 (with case)and a Gibson Les Paul Standard retailed for AU$2800.
Needless to say at those prices, we imported very few TLS200's.
Today the same guitar is the LS320

Peter Mac

Interesting that you could map the two guitars (1984 LS200 = 2003 LS320). I guess that would make my LC100 the equivalent to an LC160 if such a thing were to exist today.

Looking at the 2000 catalog, I'm amazed that they had/have such a broad range in quality and pricing - one Tokai is certainly not the same as the next.

same thing with Fender Japan, they have models at 43000 yen, the lowest they offer. Then you can go quite high... depending on model. Problem is, many times sellers either don`t know the model or don`t say. If it`s old second or third hand, model numbers sometimes get left out of the equation. Gotta be careful when buying used FJ`s.
The Tokai catalog has many models at many prices. Not unusual in Japan, many makers try to cover as many levels of players as possible. Recently there have been several makers producing real high end guitars for a lot of money in Japan, and the ones I`ve seen are fantastic.

Latest posts

Back