Is this a '92 Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valvestate

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just joined this forum to determine whether this is a Made in 1992 Tokai Love Rock. If so, is this a good guitar? Some guy is selling this in our local craigslist.

2016-06-25%2020.50.11.jpg

2016-06-25%2020.51.35.jpg

2016-06-25%2020.51.01.jpg

Thank you in advance!

It's a MIJ and it has the undimpled headstock, very hard to find outside of Japan after about 2004 and quite highly prized. Sure, it's not "vintage" but could be a good buy if the price is right.

Paladin2019 said:
It's a MIJ and it has the undimpled headstock, very hard to find outside of Japan after about 2004 and quite highly prized.

Please tell that to my SA guitarist/customers because they don't believe me. :)

Paladin2019 said:
It's a MIJ and it has the undimpled headstock, very hard to find outside of Japan after about 2004 and quite highly prized. Sure, it's not "vintage" but could be a good buy if the price is right.

wow, good to know!!! Thanks... i think il ask the guy if I can try it first!

Please tell me how it sounds! Im mostly a Strat guy so... :D :)

May I know what exactly is this model? The guy is also not sure but, it seems to be legit MIJ.

:)

Paladin2019 said:

Hi! May I know whatbdoes "undimpled headstock" means? Sorry... not really knowledgeable with LPs

valvestate said:
Hi! May I know whatbdoes "undimpled headstock" means? Sorry... not really knowledgeable with LPs

Look at the top of the headstock in your pictures - the profile resembles that of an open book or a moustache, with two bumps in the middle. This is the same design as Gibson uses.

For over a decade now Tokai have been selling the Love Rock model with a third bump, commonly called a 'dimple', in between the two larger bumps. This is to avoid falling foul of Gibson's trademarks.

Tokai still make headstocks without the dimple but with rare exceptions they only sell them in Japan. They are therefore hard to find, but very in demand as they more closely resemble the original Les Paul design.

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/tokai-love-rock-als48-571038.jpg

Paladin2019 said:

We can find these open book 2 thousands every day on the net

Paladin2019 said:
valvestate said:

Look at the top of the headstock in your pictures - the profile resembles that of an open book or a moustache, with two bumps in the middle. This is the same design as Gibson uses.

For over a decade now Tokai have been selling the Love Rock model with a third bump, commonly called a 'dimple', in between the two larger bumps. This is to avoid falling foul of Gibson's trademarks.

Tokai still make headstocks without the dimple but with rare exceptions they only sell them in Japan. They are therefore hard to find, but very in demand as they more closely resemble the original Les Paul design.

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/tokai-love-rock-als48-571038.jpg

Thank you soooo much and for everybody's response! I traded it with my American. Standard 2010 Strat and I'm very happy... it looks very very new , almost no tarnish on the bridge and pickups, came with a hard case an straplocks! :) It is FREAKIN Super HEAVY weight! I love it! Sound is massive ... but still has brightness, not muddy at all.

I can't wait to try this with my band!

Any other idea how will I know which model is this without dissecting it?

THANKS AGAIN everyone!

Latest posts

Back