Confusing Gold Top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomaso247

Reaction score
Just bought a gold top. Sold to me as ls-75 2001. Seller wasn't exactly sure, saying it could be ls70. Here's few pics of it. Can you help me to solve couple of mysteries on this. The pickup cavity writings being biggest one.

A link to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbxidcvt17hs4gw/AAAPOIIrKZfweBxAuZnU_kMha?dl=0

LS60 (model # is price in Yen at the time of production) 70/75/85//95/110/120 are similar guitars but of more recent productions (different price level due to inflation and/or production costs).

Yep, it's an LS60 GT. The model numbers inflate with time as they reflect the list price in 000's Yen, so the seller wasn't ripping you off. Is there a story behind the busted headstock point? It looks immaculate apart from that!

What puzzles me is that were there ls-60's around year 2000-2001? Especially in goldtop? Or is this just older body thats been taken back to production. Neck says its 2001. Body is 2pc mahogany with thick 2pc maple top. I don't care if this is ls60 but just wanna get to the bottom of this. Plays and sounds great. All those writings were under a piece of tape. And there seems to be more under the paint towards bridge. What that 6-12 means?

Paladin2019 said:
Yep, it's an LS60 GT. The model numbers inflate with time as they reflect the list price in 000's Yen, so the seller wasn't ripping you off. Is there a story behind the busted headstock point? It looks immaculate apart from that!

Yes the headstock misses a piece cause the seller knocked it into something during a gig. After that accident it was taken to a luthier for an inspection of damage. Theres no cracks or anything, stays in tune just fine. Ill try to fix that somehow, maybe take it to a luthier.

Thomaso247 said:
What puzzles me is that were there ls-60's around year 2000-2001? Especially in goldtop?

Yes, check out the page below from the 2000 catalogue hosted on this very site.

Note that the LS60 is available in "GT" colour. The LS200 from the same catalogue is the same spec as mine, also made in 2001.

tokai20009.jpg

I own the exact same model/year/color
The pickups where not the gotoh mk2 ones, probably mk4 when I've purchased it and I didn't liked them. so I've thrown in a set of Keiyo ones I had in a drawer. I love her now

Paladin2019 said:
Thomaso247 said:
What puzzles me is that were there ls-60's around year 2000-2001? Especially in goldtop?

Yes, check out the page below from the 2000 catalogue hosted on this very site.

Note that the LS60 is available in "GT" colour. The LS200 from the same catalogue is the same spec as mine, also made in 2001.

Well, I actually went to check out those catalogs after my last post and now I've got all figured out. No more mysteries. My pickups, whatever those are, sound great through my Vm 2266c combo. I compared this GT with my 2015 ls95vf and it blows that away totally sound and playing wise.

Thanks everybody for all the info you provided.

Thomaso

Thomaso247 said:
Paladin2019 said:
Thomaso247 said:

I compared this GT with my 2015 ls95vf and it blows that away totally sound and playing wise.

I have my doubts.

Perhaps your LS95F needs a setup.

Okay, been playing with these babies for a couple of months now and I must say these rock. And you were right Diamond, ls95 is far better but I must say that while ls95 is more sophisticated ls60 is pure rock. Couple questions about the pickups in these. Those ls60 pickups here have output both around 11Kohm, gotoh made, what version are these, MK3/MK4

AAD5g-P4O_ZgFESIER-dY9aoa

Ls95 has these, Bridge output 14,5 Kohm and neck 9,5 Kohm. Pretty hot?

AAAYEPjVpS4negqti-K3NQ_Ga

A week ago I came across another set of MK2s pickups (bought them)and they were taken from a LC85. Year still unknown. Same output as in ls95 MK2 PU's

AADEcZH6iRLWRmmHL2QhyXvua

14.5 and 9.5 sounds like MK3...what makes you think they're MK2..any sticker on the back?

If I remember correctly MK2s from the last few years were around 8.7k bridge and 7.5k neck.

I'd like to know in which Tokai catalog is a "mk3" pickup reférenced.
mk1 are P90 and mk2 are MIJ humbuckers. period
mk4 are korean and chinese ones

(I own a chinese LS-48 with mk3 pickups, but it is a 2008 "special edition". These pickups are korean made (artec) Giovanni, much better than the standard mk4)

Diamond said:
14.5 and 9.5 sounds like MK3...what makes you think they're MK2..any sticker on the back?

If I remember correctly MK2s from the last few years were around 8.7k bridge and 7.5k neck.

Well, those pics I linked are taken from my pickups in ls95 (with the sticker tokai over mk2s). The guitar is clearly untouched or modified. The welding on pots is untouched so the pups should be original. Why would tokai put "crappy" mk3 pickups in MIJ series guitars?

Back