Tokai mk11 paf pickups ..... What's the verdict ?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

casualguy393

Hi!
I searched around, but could not find a thread about the js-100 guitars.
I own two of them, and they are really great copies!
I am looking for as much info as possible about these guitars.
I would especially like to find out what factory these were made in.
Fujigen? Tokai? Terada?

JS-100 owners lets unite! :)
I will post pictures of mine when I get home.

I recently bought a Tokai lc122s loaded with mk11 pickups .

It's a nice guitar , but compared to my Gibson lp custom it sounds pretty flat muddy and lifeless . There's nothing wrong with it , but the lp custom sounds more lively and dynamic by comparison .

I wondered if I was just hearing the difference between the 2 guitars , or if the pickups were a big part of what I heard .

I'm interested in what people think if the stock Tokai pafs.

riffpowers said:
I recently bought a Tokai lc122s loaded with mk11 pickups .

It's a nice guitar , but compared to my Gibson lp custom it sounds pretty flat muddy and lifeless . There's nothing wrong with it , but the lp custom sounds more lively and dynamic by comparison .

I wondered if I was just hearing the difference between the 2 guitars , or if the pickups were a big part of what I heard .

I'm interested in what people think if the stock Tokai pafs.

MK2 pickups are excellent. Check the adjustment, maybe those are too close to the strings ?

Matti

I changed mine out a long time ago for personal preference reasons, but I agree with Mattim - pickup height has a far bigger role to play than most people realise and many are far too keen to get out the soldering iron before they've tried the screwdriver.

I use low to mid output pickups on all my electrics and they are all set significantly lower than the 'recommended' specs that you generally find online or on manufacturer's websites. Conventional wisdom is that you should get them as close to the strings as possible before the magnets start causing weird interference... But I think that they are more lively and responsive a bit further away form the strings.

I agree, pickup height and/or pole screw adjustement is the key.
Strings quality too

Latest posts

Back