Fret Buzz!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzface1

Reaction score
I thought I would ask the experts here! I was really chuffed to buy a beautiful new ls1ooq in Seoul this past weekend.

Problem is that I have noticed some serious fret buzz (of course only when I'm damned far from the shop). I am really freaking out about this as I have been led to believe fret buzz is usually a plague that you cannot cure?

I have got it to the point that I have most of the buzz removed. It required some relief in the neck and the action to be raised quite a bit. The action is now a fair bit higher than I would like and it still buzzes on the low E. Mostly above the twelfth fret. Before the truss rod and action adjustment it buzzed pretty much all over the fretboard but mostly in the bass strings around the 5th to 7th frets.

Do you think I am now stuck with a shyte guitar? I am really bummed as I was really looking forward to this guitar. It just does not seem right, the build quality on this instrument is phenomenal so it just does not seem right that I should have this problem!

James

ps. Would pictures of the bridge etc help?

This is probably NOT guitar-tech sound advice, but have you tried also adjusting the height of the saddle?, or replacing (or finding a way to raise) the nut?

It's possible that the guitar/nut was cut for a different string gauge than what you have, and this could be causing you problems, as well.

usually buzz up to th 7th fret is due to the nut being cut too low from the 7th onward its usually the bridge end .have you changed to a lighter gauge of string ?

If you fret a string on the 3rd fret is the same string touching the 1st fret or is there some clearance?

Do you hear the buzz when the guitar is plugged into an amp or only unplugged?

thank you for all the replies!

There is clearance on the first fret when fretting at the third and there is no buzz on an open string so I think that rules out the nut.

I have not changed to a lighter gauge of string yet. That is interesting that you mention it, do lighter gauges have less tendency to buzz? The stock strings seem to be a particularly heavy gauge. Perhaps this is adding to the problem?

The Buzz is unfortunately very noticeable through the amp. It is a real kill joy on a new and expensive guitar.

Seeing as the bridge is already fairly high (higher would make it close to an acoustic style action) and there is still buzz, is it possible that their is a raised fret from say 17 onwards? or perhaps the entire fretboard is raised towards the end?

In my novice opinion, I suspect that the buzz is from one of these last few frets.

please excuse my ignorance but "adjusting the height of the saddle" would refer to the intonation adjustment or the tail piece? If it were a bridge that allowed individual string height, I think I could eliminate this problem. Having said that, I don't think I should be having to raise the action this much to remove buzz. I have had FAR cheaper guitars that allowed a lot of flexibility in terms of action height without chasing buzz

Sometimes some frets will pop up a bit. Unfortunately it can happen to a nice guitar, too. I recommend that you take deep breaths, think calm thoughts, and realize that this is a setup issue, most likely. I think you should let an experienced tech look at it. The store you bought it from should be willing to help you. I do most of my own setups, but occasionally I need help. It may need a fret leveling.

That is neednd advice, I do need to start breathing normally again!

I think that is the route I need to take, this one is beyond my level of know how.

Thank you for all the replies!

Do yourself a big favor and pick up this book. Sounds like you need a little tutoring on the particulars of an electric guitar. This will familiarize you with how things work, trouble shooting, doing your own basic setups, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989

it is when you go for a lighter gauge of sting that the buzz usually starts to happen ,as the slots on the nut are too wide & the tension on the neck /truss rod is less . thus allowing less of a requied relef to the neck.
But as previous post said it could be a high fret . a good luthier will be able to sort it .it never ceases to amaze me how many people have uitars for years and never think about having a service or set up ,yet they are amazed by how nice your guitar feels . good luc hope you get it sorted soon.

That does look look a good book to have, thanks for the suggestion. Thank you all for your advice, I hope I eventually get a buzz free guitar!

My simplified scheme about this in finnish ;-)

https://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/showphoto.php/photo/21011/title/kitaran-mekaniikka/cat/1043

S?rin?=Buzz
Kaularauta = check the truss rod
Talla = Height of the post where the stricgs touch the body ;-)

Back