Tokai LC110S Question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancouverois

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've found an used MIJ 2011 LC110S in pristine condition, went to see and try it.
The guitar is all original, but the bridge pickup (PAF MK II) sound really overpowered in comparison with the neck. It's very bright too, a bit like a Telecaster.

Somewhere on this forum I've read that these pickups can either be made by Gotoh and another company named Keyio. The pickups made by Keyio seem to have a higher output really far from vintage PAF specs.

Does the LC110S models have these Keyio made pickups?
I was inclined to believe the MIJ Tokai were all equipped with Gotoh.

Though the neck pickup is ok, nice and mellow.

I tried the guitar on two different amps, still the same brightness and icepicky tone on the bridge pickup.

vancouverois said:
Hi guys,

I've found an used MIJ 2011 LC110S in pristine condition, went to see and try it.
The guitar is all original, but the bridge pickup (PAF MK II) sound really overpowered in comparison with the neck. It's very bright too, a bit like a Telecaster.

Somewhere on this forum I've read that these pickups can either be made by Gotoh and another company named Keyio. The pickups made by Keyio seem to have a higher output really far from vintage PAF specs.

Does the LC110S models have these Keyio made pickups?
I was inclined to believe the MIJ Tokai were all equipped with Gotoh.

Though the neck pickup is ok, nice and mellow.

I tried the guitar on two different amps, still the same brightness and icepicky tone on the bridge pickup.

Tokai stopped using Gotoh humbackers some years ago. They changed them to Keyo, but as far as I know - Keiyo company no longer exists. I have info that the former employees of Keiyo continue to produce pickups for Tokai company. Japanese companies usually rarely share such information and that information is sometimes very controversial. My source of information is trustworthy, but again - who knows?
Also as far as I know Tokai still use Gotoh pickups for Strat and Tele style guitars.
Are you sure that your guitar is LS110s ? If it made in 2011 - it should be called LC98S (LC85S in 2009).

Thanks for your reply.
Actually I double checked and the owner advertises it as a late 2011 model, LC110S snow white model.
He bought it brand new in a local store and the case was a gift from the store as he told me Tokai does not include any case.
The truss rod cover has two screws, I guess MIC have 3 screws but I'm not 100% sure about that.
There is also Made in Japan stamped at the back of the headstock.

Here are some pics:

Latest posts

Back