Tokai vs Gibson 1959 Reissue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrius

Reaction score
I guess most people on this forum would take Tokai instead of Gibson any time of the day. I personally have the same belief. But it seems like some people have an opinion that Gibson Reissues are actually good. So what do you guys think?
Which current production Tokai model would a Gibson 1959 Reissue rival?

I saw your thread on the Gear Page.

Ask the seller of the LS260 what the weight of the guitar is.
You like a light LP, if the weight is anything under 9.3lbs then buy it...that's light.

Don't worry about the quality of the Tokai, it will be perfect out the box.

Hope that helps.

Diamond said:
I saw your thread on the Gear Page.

Ask the seller of the LS260 what the weight of the guitar is.
You like a light LP, if the weight is anything under 9.3lbs then buy it...that's light.

Don't worry about the quality of the Tokai, it will be perfect out the box.

Hope that helps.

The seller is me. :)

stratlt said:
andrius said:
Thanks for advice!

"But I can't try Tokai before buying. ". Yes, you can.

Yes, but I said that to make the post less complicated. When I'm back home to try the Tokai, it will be too late for me to go back for that particular Gibson.

Tokai LS98 that I used to have was uncomfortably heavy for me, considerably heavier than LS420 and the R9...

I'm in the lucky position to have owned a 2008 Custom Shop Gibson 59 reissue Les Paul for a good few years and have just picked up a 2004 Tokai LS 150F so hopefully I can provide some insight here....

In pretty much every area the Tokai matches my R9 pound for pound, especially build quality wise. They're both beautifully made instruments and use really great quality wood. The top on my R9 does have a lot more wow factor but the Tokai's is still very attractive in a more subtle way. My Gibson is 9.2lb and believe it or not the Tokai is lighter, haven't weighed it yet but it's noticeable so it must be under 9....

The sound unplugged is very similar, both ring and resonate like a bell as the sying goes. Gibson maybe sounds a tad denser, the tokai a tad airier but remarkably alike and the small differences are ones you would find between other Gibsons and Tokais anyway.

Can't really comment on the plugged in sound right now as my Tokai still has the god awful active pickups some misguided previous installed (soon to be remidied) and my R9 has sublime Bare Knuckle PAF clones, I imagine the two would sound extremely similar again with the same pickups given how similar they sound unplugged.

I've set them both up to my liking and again, they're both spectacular to play so no real winner here either.

Bottom line. Gibson Historic guitars are absolutely phenomenal but a high end Tokai is just as phenomenal for much less cash. I mean, mine is only a 150 so not even right at the top of the range and it hangs with my Gibbo all day....so there you go, hope this helps!

Hi guys,

I'm kinda in the same boat except that I have a real '59 Gibbo. The top is rather subdued compared to the Tokai and Custom Shop RI. I did also own a 1983 LS-200 and have since owned various other Tokai LS models.

Contrary to popular belief, not every '59 GLP is a killer. Mine is really good but I did get a chance to try Joe Walshs and Waddy Watchels '59ers in 1985 and they were very good. I have also played some RI's between 2003 and 2010 and they are very consistant in feel and quality - probably more consistant than the originals.
Having owned 13 Gibson LP's and 6 Tokai LP's over the last 30 years I would have to say the Tokai is far more consistant in feel and sound than the regular Gibson LP (does not include CS) and do sound a bit better.
The LS-200 is a different kettle of fish. Like the original 59, I would think each one has its own character as they a built from selected premium woods and hand made, similar to a '59. It was an amazing guitar but I sold it to buy the '59 and that was that.
The only real difference is the re-sale value. Get past that and the higend Tokai models will certainly outperform the regular Gibson any day.

Peter

Back