No interest in old Tokai basses here?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakyjapan

Reaction score
I`ve seen some for sale in Japan but never read about em at this site, I should add that I am a recent member here so I may have missed some threads.

I'm going to pick one up sooner or later. I had one in my sights for a few weeks but it was gone before i made a move. They go for pretty cheap too i might add when i see them.

Gonna get one for a friend and play it to see if i want one for myself.

Dana

I am looking for a telecaster bass and a rickenbaker bass. I wonder if Tokai (or Greco, burny etc...) make copies of those basses. If anyone has info...

I have seen an Ibanez Rick, and recently a Greco. Bruce Foxton of the Jam used to play an Ibanez 4001 Rick back in the late 70's

I have a Fender Japan tele bass that I got new a couple of years ago. Looks like the Sting but no plastic signature at the 12th fret or cutaways and it came stock with a Seymour Duncan pick up. Very cool bass.... can`t play it but it is cool.

for a few years I have used many different basses. Now I regret my 1969 telecaster bass. The colour was cream. I saw the fender tele but the new ones doesn't look as good as my old one (I sold it, I don't know why). I used to have the same Ibanez than bruce foxton but sold it too ... and now regret it too. Fortunately I never had the same haircut...

I had a really nice jazzsound bass that I bought in 1984. It kept me alive for 5 years...and then I sold it (wish I hadn't!) :cry: ...I use the real thing now ...which costs 5 times as much. Is it 5 times better?...no way..the pickups are a bit nicer but I think the neck was better on the tokai..maybe I should buy another tokai?..maybe a nice early 80's JB120 YSR with sunburst finish (drool!)..or perhaps a JB85 YSR-FL fretless...(more drool!).. :D

I've got an early 80's TJB70F 'Jaco' replica, not sure of the year exactly but I think it's around 83/84.

There is some bass info in the catalogs.

Oh and bassists are just as obssesed see the bottom line for proof.

GB

The one that got away.....(stares misty eyed, while the picture wibbles)

An early 70's 4001 Rick with the chequerboard binding for about ?300 about 15 years ago. Bugger. :cry:

The one that didn't get away, a natural '89 StingRay with the best bit of birdseye maple neck I've seen for a while. :)

Baz, all the bassists I know (myself included) are total gear heads, except most bassists are trying to suss out which product in the ever decreasing market place is worth their dosh. Most music shoppes have huge guitar sections with loads of choice to fit all pockets, and the bass section is about a quarter the size (if you're lucky).

Does anyone know if Tokai ever did a 4001 copy?

Latest posts

Back