Please Help With This Tokai LP Custom.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamf77

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I just started reading up about Tokai Guitars early this week, when one popped up for sale in my area.
The person selling it says he knows nothing about it, he got it in lieu of cash for a debt awhile back. He said the serial number in the back starts with 11 and is in gold ink.
I am waiting to here from him with the complete serial number.
Any help currently would be great.
Thanks!
Mike

Owner just sent me this..... "11030689".
For the serial number.

00k0k_7ycaiymAXzp_600x450.jpg

00v0v_aAsW3qpi2fN_600x450.jpg

00505_1c6Q1F8SQCq_600x450.jpg

Hi. throwing the first stone ;-)

This guitar does not look good. In my opinion proportions of the head stock and the shape of the control cavity does not belong to a real Tokai. I would not buy this guitar as a genuine Japanese Tokai, which this one tries to pretend.

Matti

Difficult. The pictures are too few and too poor quality to be sure. The bridge looks MIK/MIC but the headstock looks MIJ. Controls are high end but could be aftermarket.

Need more GOOD photos, the bridge and back of headstock especially.

Wouldn't touch this one without more info.

What's the price?

You've already been accurately advised on 2 different forums as to what model it is and when + where it was made.

Tokai base models were only produced in Japan, Korea + China

Korea did not use serial numbers. It's not from Japan either for reasons already stated.
Tokai Japan never used that type of control cavity route ... or 8 digit serial numbers.

In the first post the seller knew nothing about the guitar and yet in the last post he knows it wasn't from any of the 3 countries that produced them ???

Looking at the relisted pictures its definitely not Japanese. Its had some decent mods but the seller is overpricing it.

Hard to tell whether or not he's genuinely clueless.

I did post this on 2 forums, and although my initial questions were answered, I posted a "follow-up" because I thought it may be of some interest to the people who replied to my initial post.
The bottom diamond on the headstock seems much closer to the TRC and the swills pattern on the top seems much closer to the tuning pegs than the legit Tokai guitars I have googled searched.

Back