Can you provide any information on this Tokai Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyedinburgh

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me any details about the age of this Goldstar and what value it could fetch to a collector.

Please view the link below to the free ads site where you can view images.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-1980s-tokai-goldstar-sound/1076907029

With the script logo it is from 1984 at the earliest - according to the registry. It is also a copy of a 1960-64 era Strat as it has the L prefix serial.
Mine is a script logo for 1986-7 with 6 digit serial which makes it a 1965 copy.

Nice looking with correct yellowing of the pickup covers and knobs. I'd say price wise they go for ?400-500 so probably ok especially if comes with case -we of course have no way of knowing if the pickups or electrics have been changed or not so this could affect value to a collector.
Do not be surprised if genuine interested parties of the collector ilk ask for inside body and electrics photos for provenance of originality.

I ditched my pickups for Seymour Duncans almost as soon as I bought it new - which a lot of us did at the time - though should have kept the originals for value sake.

EDIT: looking closely to the pictures it is quite worn on the first few frets which makes me now think it is overpriced.

If the serial number is L31xxx it`s a 1986 Goldstar st 50, cant really see clearly enough.Price? ?350 tops considering condition and the fact that most of us prefer 83 or 84 Goldies as they are exactly the same as 82 Springys. U or E pickups,final pro spec hardware and no loss of quality.

bluejeannot said:
If the serial number is L31xxx it`s a 1986 Goldstar st 50, cant really see clearly enough.Price? ?350 tops considering condition and the fact that most of us prefer 83 or 84 Goldies as they are exactly the same as 82 Springys. U or E pickups,final pro spec hardware and no loss of quality.

+1

Could you clarify what exactly was the loss in quality by 1986? I thought that had been dismissed.
For the record my 1986 ST50 (purchased early 87) Goldie has Final ProSpec hardware and had Deluxe tuners. Also the serial is not L prefix.
Thanks.

So is it solely the pickups that determine the quality?
Are there pointers to the difference between the U and the V?
Pickup quality could be quite subjective to some. I recall mine being full of character and lively in brightness - they were grey bottomed, cannot recall them being V stamped but could be remembering wrong. I just wanted more heft in the low mids so got the SD.

Generally speaking I think the wood was better in pre 85 .This is generally speaking though, I once had an 85 Goldie once with fabulous wood, both light resonant and attractive grain. Gabe. :)

Back