Modern Tokai Strats

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyH

Reaction score
Searched but didn't find much about modern Tokai ST-type guitars. What are your experiences with modern production or custom Tokai strats? Both MIC and MIJ are welcome to discussion.

Here is my input:

I was searching for a vintage Silver Star or Goldstar but didn't find a good one for the money I was quite willing to spend. Also, I prefer new look vs. relics. So, while I was searching I also looked at new ones, found an interesting one and took a bite.

So, yesterday I received a new MIJ HST-90 Silver Star from Japan. According to serial I believe it was made in 2013. This is one of the Hibiki custom orders.

Alder body, nice round maple neck, narrow fretboard, Gotoh tuners, don't know what the other hw is, apparently the Pu's are custom made for this model, finish is thin (only 30% of normal) urethane, the finish is advertised to sound good and age nicely, it weights 3.5kgs etc.

EDIT, when I notice new details I'll add them here: 3 layer laminated pickguard, 2-piece body, 6 number serial printed in silver on the neck, made in Japan printed in black below the serial on the neck, Tokai-script is black with gold outline, nut width is 39mm, string spacing is very close to same with my Tokai LP.

My first impressions are very good. Quality, finish and fit seem very nice, it feels great and even unplugged it plays quite loud. IMO very easy guitar to play. Cannot really comment on the pu's as I have nothing to compare them against (my first single coils) but initially they seem ok to me.

112a008.jpg
29d74tl.jpg

2a4qzog.jpg
oi7wax.jpg

great axe, congratulations
i'm looking for a good deal on a ast-100 for a few months
unfortunately those don't show up used very often, even in Japan

Hi, thanks for replying! What models are imported into Portugal? We only get AST-33 and AST-50 here in Finland. Not enough demand I guess.

I looked at Tokai catalogue #26 for details on the AST-100. It says GS finish option is lacquer finish.

http://www.tokaijapan.com/catalogue/telecaster.html

My HST90 is GS finish too but does it mean the same thing or only color option (gold sunburst)? Can anybody translate this label?

dbmkqq.jpg

Love your garden, can I move in?

More recently I got myself a gorgeous USA Standard Fender, replaced the bridge pickup as it wasn't working for a JB humbucker... but it still didn't sound right. I wonder if you're used to les pauls, sgs yourself?

Each to his own I suppose, but I'm not too keen on bolt on necks either... they feel kind of inferior to good set-in necks. Oh and the scale is odd too :)

I hope you enjoy! They do have a gorgeous neck tone though. I do miss that... it's a shame I didn't get to try a single pickup in the bridge position.

Thanks!

Yes, I am a Les Paul guy since early 80's. This is infact my first guitar with single coils. And I cannot even remember if or when I have player a Strat before this one. Must be long time ago.

In fact I have always hated Strat look before but I guess as I get older my taste evolves. I still prefer LP look over anything else, then ES and old Gretcshes but I have now warmed to Strat look too. I still hate Teles (but slowly warming, maybe 50% hate left) and SG's (still 100% discusted) ;) No offence intended to anybody.

So, my electric guitar experience is close to 100% humbuckers. I wasn't quite sure what to expect PU-wise. I was worried about the hum of single coils and maybe little worried about low output. But, this far they are sounding quite all right. While waiting for this guitar I did buy new PU's for it - just in case. So, I have SD Little '59 humbucker for bridge and DiMarzios Area '58 and Virtual Vintage '54 Pro humless single coils waiting in case I want to experiment with them.

I think this is my first bolt on neck guitar. The neck feels just fine to me. Neck profile is very similar to my other guitars, only a bit narrower.

Is there anybody else present with a modern Tokai Strat? Comments?

Hi Tony.

Congrats for the successful deal. What a gorgeous looking Strat. If you ever consider selling it, please contact me.

Matti

mattim said:
Hi Tony.

Congrats for the successful deal. What a gorgeous looking Strat. If you ever consider selling it, please contact me.

Matti

Hi Matti,

Thanks for your help on the project, made it much easier. 8)

Last time I sold a guitar was about 1984 and I still regret it today. So, not likely to happen any time soon. :wink:

Tony

Beautiful looking guitar...all the best.

GS means Golden Sunburst (two tone).
It doesn't mean Nitro, you can get GS in Poly or Nitro...I think yours is Poly, the AST100 is Nitro.
YS means Yellow Sunburst (three tone)...in other words with the thin reddish/cherry layer just inside the GS.

Tokais Poly finish is so thin it might as well be Nitro. :wink:

Diamond, thanks for clarification.

I have translated several HST90 specs I found and all them say its was specially ordered thinner than normal finish. One said its only 30% of the normal finish thickness. And some of they say the finish is urethane which I guess is Poly.

Tokai have a new finish called EX...Extra Thin Urethane...it's poly.

Back