Many years a member, first Tokai impressions.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to share my story with you all.

I joined this forum originally as I almost bought an LS150 a few years back. For one reason or another it never happened but I regularly check the place out as I've always been curious about Tokais.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I happened upon a Goldstar Sound that was advertised as a 1984, 3 colour burst, non original black guard and sporting Bare Knuckle Irish Tours. I took a punt and from what I can gather it is a humble ST40. Saddles have been changed unfortunately as have the strap buttons. The former were too rusty to save, according to the seller. SN is 222---. On closer inspection it has all the stamps on neck heel and in the cavities you would expect. Now, here's the rub.

I took the BK's out and put the originals that the guy had given me back in. They're obviously the flat 'bar' ceramics. All of a sudden, I have what feels and sounds like an original 62 strat in my hands. I didn't expect them to sound like heaven. They nail 'that' sound.

It's a little beat up on the body but the neck is in excellent condition. I'll post some pics when I get a moment. Any input you could give would be appreciated. I'm really happy with it.

Here's the pics I've taken so far. I stupidly didn't take one of the (frankly amazing) pickups though:

IMAG0548_zpscacfa94c.jpg

IMAG0564_zps585978f9.jpg

IMAG0562_zps15bdabb7.jpg

IMAG0561_zpsc73afa12.jpg

IMAG0551_zps888013a3.jpg

IMAG0550_zps1ada1fc3.jpg

For a RHCP fan like me, it does it better than any US strat I've ever owned. In fact it absolutely nails it.

I like it, looks like a killer guitar.

Now go buy yourself a LS150/160 as well. :D

That's the plan! I'd love an LS150. I was mad not to buy one last time I had a chance.

ha ha, don't worry deadman, you're not just talking to yourself, we all know
how good these guitars are on here, and it's great you share the love.
nice looking axe by the way. :D

Ha cheers man.

Are these ceramic pickups supposed to sound so good? I've read that I'd probably want to upgrade them but nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps it's because I like RHCP stuff and these nail that sound. Honestly I just can't believe how good they are. After owning a fair few US Fenders my search for the perfect strat is certainly over.

my first tokai strat was a black, maple neck '40', must admit i quite liked the
ceramic pups, but was intent on making a dave gilmour strat out of it :roll:
and changed the pups out for SD's and CS pups, also changed the scratch plate.
when i came to sell it, i put it back to original, and still liked the sound of the
original ceramics. they're marmite really, love 'em or hate 'em i suppose.
probably my favourite humbuckers are ceramics, the 490T and R are great
on an sg.
:oops: stupid question i suppose but RHCP stuff?

Red Hot Chili Peppers :lol:

Early stuff, not the modern rubbish.

I also can't believe how light it is. It's a smidge under 7lbs on my bathroom scales, although in reality is more likely to be just over. The thing resonates beautifully too, I've played it more unplugged than powered up since I bought it.

I thought I was more of a tele man nowadays and got this more out of interest than anything but it's rejuvenated my love for the strat sound. Having said that, if I'd bought something Fender I guarantee I wouldn't be feeling the same right now.

the tokais' are without a shadow of a doubt more likely to give you the sound
your after, whereas finding a good fender strat seems to be more hit and miss.
a fantastic local pub bands guitarist plays a lovely old gibson les paul, but is always on the lookout for a good strat, (his gilmour stuff is unbelievable), i
just can't get him interested in trying out a tokai.
there are great fender strats out there, but it seems you have to try out so many to find "the one".

Agreed.

Interestingly this was A/B'd by a mate of mine (he took it to band practice) against a CS Gilmour and he said there was nothing in it. The guy who owned the CS was impressed by all accounts.

maybe it,s the fact that you don't mind really strangling a tokai, whereas, if
you've got a bona fide 'the guitar you've always dreamed of' fender/gibson, you treat it with kid gloves?
the old fender cbs strat i use, (circa ?1200 on e-bay), is well worn, and i don't
worship it, sounds great, magical tones, which is what we're all looking for.

Nice guitar, Deadman. Similar to my ST40 (below). Though I did swap the original pickups for Wilkinsons, which I found gave me a tone closer to what I wanted. Incidentally, the neck on mine is definitely on the beefy side, especially when compared to those on my ST50 and ST55. How is the neck on yours?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek_slade/8458794400/

jonah65 said:
maybe it,s the fact that you don't mind really strangling a tokai, whereas, if
you've got a bona fide 'the guitar you've always dreamed of' fender/gibson, you treat it with kid gloves?
the old fender cbs strat i use, (circa ?1200 on e-bay), is well worn, and i don't
worship it, sounds great, magical tones, which is what we're all looking for.

Yeah I'm certainly not scared to throw it around that's for sure. The thing is though it was hearing under the bridge by rhcp that made me first pick up a strat back in 1991. I've had about 5 or 6 since and although they looked good none of them got the sound and I obviously always figured it was because I wasn't playing an original 1962 fender. It is the holy grail I've always hankered for. I played Can't stop by rhcp this afternoon and it completely nails that intro. I'm pinching myself, even my kids and wife are commenting on it!

Del said:
Nice guitar, Deadman. Similar to my ST40 (below). Though I did swap the original pickups for Wilkinsons, which I found gave me a tone closer to what I wanted. Incidentally, the neck on mine is definitely on the beefy side, especially when compared to those on my ST50 and ST55. How is the neck on yours?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek_slade/8458794400/

Thanks Del. I love the look of yours with maple. It feels no different in size to my last Fender, a US deluxe. Although it's not as silky, probably due to the gloss finish it's certainly not a handful. You do need to work to get the sound though but I'm finding it extremely rewarding.

that's fantastic, you never know the guitarist from RHCP might have used an
st40 to record those tracks. worth doing a bit of research.
congrats. :p

I think he uses sd antiquities. I'd love to a/b a set against my humble tokai ceramics that's for sure. I'm looking at a small Marshall combo for the house now as I feel this guitar deserves it.

how about a nice little 50 watt all valve marshall combo from 1977?
compliment that strat a treat :D :D .
?500.

Back