One more question, finishes, poly or nitro.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon Rust

Reaction score
I do not know much about it, but what is the real difference????

What does it do to the sound????

I can alsways see that al the top of the range have the Nitro, so....what is it all about?????

Thanks for your help,
FR

Hi

Well, nitro ages nicely for a start . Look at any old Gibbo - loads of character.

Poly looks like a thicker finish and seems to last for ever and ever. Good examples of this are the vintage Ibanez guitars say 20, 25 even 30 years old.

Poly can chip and start to look tatty if the guitar isn't looked after properly. Most players I know don?t mind the look of a tatty nitro guitar but hate a chipped-up and scratched poly. Poly?s a bugger to get off if you want to refinish the guitar.

I prefer the look of nitro but poly doesn't bother me and personally I've never noticed much of a sound difference, I?m beyond all that old bollocks.

Poly is certainly a lot tougher - nitro can be damaged by the rubber in your guitar stand! :eek:

Nitro is generally said to sound more 'open' and 'natural' and feels a bit slicker. But it is high maintenance and needs care and attention to keep it in good condition.

It's saved for top instruments because applying it is expensive and very labour intensive as many layers have to be built up.

There?s a quite big difference between nitro and poly finishes. Poly is so much harder that it?s almost like plastic compared to nitro. But also there?s a difference on a feel. My G ES335 is kind of sticky on the neck. I get lot?s of s**t from my hands there, but on Tokais - no problem with that at all. And IMO nitro truly ages more nicely. It starts to look cool and vintageish :lol: quite quickly if you play it a lot.

There?s some differences between Tokai finishes too. My older LP has more drier looking beltmarks on the back. Of course there?s some years between them, but I haven?t much played my older since ?95 and I bought it at 90 with very minor marks.
So this ?95 model has still got more playing on it. But the it has much more plastic look on the wear if you know what I mean.
Here?s some pics.

"vintage"
1.JPG

?95:
2.JPG

Both:
3.JPG

But here I must add that at the time I used to rock pretty hard on that poor guitar :evil: and this LS70 has not been throught all that...

That?s me & Tokai in early nineties :lol: seriously, guys..
8318.jpg

Looks like you were having a good gig man.

Ned's going to be upset about the pics.

Top hair cut, Mr A I can reassure you guys that I won't be posting any pictures of me from the '80s

I had to think for awhile before I was ready to post that one, well it?s just life and I was almost a teenager at the time :oops:

Looks like you were having a good gig man.

We sure did... 8) I played through a friends Marshall which was pretty good.

Ned's going to be upset about the pics.

What? He?s going to envy my hairstyle or what? :D

I?ve asked from few guitar makers about the neck for the vintage one. Seems that it?ll be one expensive job to do. We?ll see if I?ll be able to save some money for it.

It?ll be like 500 -1500? depending how I would like to have it :evil:
that?s more that I paid for the whole guitar...

BUT!...

Wich love rock are made with nitro finishes or not?

This question becomes crucial as I'll get my OWN tokai next week (a ls 75 or a ls 60... depend on the finish...) :eek:

The tech who saw to my ls200 reckoned the finish was 1 layer of poly topped with 2 or 3 layers of nitro, if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back