Let's talk about pricing on a certain new Paisley guitar.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
So I had a very strong interest in picking up one of these a few weeks ago just before they were coming out. As some of you know it's the NLS-80 PR (Paisley Love Rock).

In my search for this guitar, I finally found someone that had it. Problem is, it's in the price range of an LS-200.

I'm sitting down with my calculator and figuring what an 80 model is worth in US Dollars. (An 80 model meaning it costs ?80,000 here in Japan). With the Yen rate being kinda low lately, the guitar would go for about $700 here in Japan. With shipping and tax (5%) it would be a total of $750 US Dollars.

Now i see these online stores (and on ebay), and the going price is $1,200 - $1,300 for one, not including shipping (or sales tax if it applies).

Now of course the dealers arent paying $700, they might be paying 4-500 i suppose. Oh yeah, figure in shipping into them as well from Japan.

So why are these stores trying to rape our wallets? I know it's an export only guitar, but do they think we know that little about what the price range should be for these guitars?

Disappointed,
Dana

I emailed Yoshi awhile back and he said they are export only guitars. He said he could try but it wasnt likely.

Only perv's buy guitars like that? Yikes!

I just picked up a well-worn Alpine Orville LP Custom as my guitar to refinish for $130. Finish is worn and the headstock needs to be refinished (eggshell cracks around high E tuner on face where it looks like guitar did a face plant off a stand). Thought about turning it into a goldtop, but we'll see.

Dana

I considered going paisley. I imagined using something like wallpaper (or something with a nice pattern).

Yeah, I've been checking out the reranch site and it looks like something i could do, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

I've also considered going natural and sanding down to the grain and then finishing it. (If you have the 2002 Vintage Guitar Price Guide, check out the cover). I could make the wooden pickup rings and knobs.

All depends on what shape the wood is in when i sand it down. I can tell from the seams on the top its a 3 piece top. The guitar definitely has the feel of a great guitar. The pickups kinda suck and has tiny 500k pots in it. Just cleaned and conditioned the ebony fretboard and its fast and smooth.

Will try to post some pics this week.

Dana

Dana,

The list price for the NLS80-PR (Paisley Love Rocks) is $1450.00 (US). It's probably the finishing which drives the price up.

Also, the distributor in the UK had 12 Relic Love Rocks made last year and just informed me that he will have about 12 made again this year. I've got some info and pics to post on the main site and hope to have that finished today.

Also ver 2, The video I shot has some great shots of the both the Love Rock and SG paisley Tokai's. Video is available on the shirts page.

Ned

Ned,
HOw about cutting a deal with me on that CD!
I'm a cheap por *******, so please help!
I've been thinkin of bidding on it on Ebay but
shipping kills.

THAT IS PRETTY MUCH THE ATTITUDE THAT THE CANADIAN DEALERS HAVE HAD..AS A FORMER TOKAI DEALER DEALER IN THE EIGHTIES, AND A 20 YEAR VETERAN IN THE RETAIL MUSIC BUSINESS; I THINK THIS IS JUST ABOUT ENOUGH. I JUST DECIDED TO OPEN ANOTHER STORE AFTER A TEN YEAR ABSENCE FROM THE RETAIL SCENE. MY DECISION WAS BASED UPON A COUPLE OF THINGS. 1. ONCE A MUSIC DEALER, ALWAYS A MUSIC DEALER: I NEVER REALLY LEFT, JUST DOWNSCALED AND DOING THE E-BAY, HUNT THE PAWNSHOP AND 2.THE PUBLIC'S IDEA"HEY, HE USED TO HAVE 3 STORES, LET'S SEE WHAT HE'S GOT"..AND FINALLY;3. I JUST AM A PLAIN OLD GEAR HEAD. THANX TO MASS MERCHANDISERS LIKE MUSICIAN'S FRIEMD AND GUITAR CENTER, SAM ASH, ETC..AMERICAN DO NOT AND WILL NOT PAY RETAIL. tHE CANADIANS THINK THEY HAVE A RETAIL PRODUCT THAT WE CANNOT OR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET. WELL I JUST WROTE ACTIVE MUSIC PRODUCTS, INFORMING THEM THAT I WILL BE OPENING A STORE IN NOV. OF THIS YEAR, AND I WANT TOKAI AS MY MAIN LINE...I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE WORD 'NO'..I CAN BE VERY PERSISTANT....TO THE POINT OF DISTRACTION...ANYWAY, WHEN I GET THE LINE...I WILL OFFER ANY TOKAI AT TWENTY-FIVE TO THIRTY PER CENT OFF ACTUALLY LIST, PLUS SHIPPING IN AND OUT...AFTER EACH GUITAR IS THOUROUGHLY SET UP AND INSPECTED....ONE OF THE REASONS MY STORES DID SO WELL AND SOLD LITTERALLY THOUSAND OF GUITARS A YEAR, WAS THE FACT THAT I PERSONALLY SET UP, AND IF POSSIBLE..STROBE TUNED EACH GUITAR BEFORE THEY WENT OUT THE DOOR....KRAMER USED TO LOVE ME ...IWAS ORDERING 100 GUITARS EVERY TWO WEEKS IN THE EVH HAYDAY..................LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS...I WILL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED..THANX CHANCE MCFADDEN

Latest posts

Back