Loverock LS5

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayspang

Reaction score
For sale locally is a 2009 MIJ Loverock MODEL LS5. The seller says its based on the LS100Q with factory installed Tom Holmes pickups. The headstock is badged "pacific exclusive" and is supposed to be one of only 12 made. Is anyone familiar with this model?

The seller bought it in Japan at a shop. What is interesting is that he's done alot of upgrades some of which appear to be unecessary. A stainless steel refret foremost comes to mind. Vintage rewire with CTS and switchcraft, Real bumblebee caps, aluminum tail, locking bridge, etc. comes with the original parts, recpts., and hard case. Asking price is $1400 USD. Whatcha think?

rayspang said:
...Real bumblebee caps...

From the 50's?

I'm leaning towards what Villager has said - that $$$ can get you into the lower models of the Premium Series (LS-150) which is worth thinking about.

But hey, if you can play it and it's really good, then why not? The upgrades are pretty nice but unfortunately don't really add that much to the market value.
The advice about upgrading guitars is that it's usually better to sell the guitar and buy a higher model.
The Tom Holmes though, are worth $500 a pair aren't they? Not to mention the waiting list to get them. They may be the Japanese Holmes pickups?

I'd certainly be curious about the stainless frets - something I've always wanted to check out.

The Tom Holmes though, are worth $500 a pair aren't they? Not to mention the waiting list to get them. They may be the Japanese Holmes pickups?

I've see the USA ones go for $600-$700. I'm thinking the MIJ ones could be half that?? This guitar has the MIJ ones. Not sure if you can buy them unless they are OEM on a new guitar.

rayspang said:

I've see the USA ones go for $600-$700. I'm thinking the MIJ ones could be half that?? This guitar has the MIJ ones. Not sure if you can buy them unless they are OEM on a new guitar.

Yeah they definitely sell for higher $$ than retail - it's worth it to avoid the wait time.

You might be right about the Japanese versions, and I expect they're pretty good pickups.

Have a look at this thread:
http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13081&highlight=&sid=1eae3ea80012368324c26f30930da07d
Seems like the guitar might be a better deal than first thought.

Back