LS150 SHAVE NECK DOWN

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompski

Reaction score
Hello,

I am toying with the idea of slimming down the neck profile on my Tobacco burst LS150.
I know people will suggest getting a different guitar that suits me better but I am very attached to this guitar, I can't imagine selling it, and I have a good London Luthier on standby to do the job, but he has stated it is very tricky with these guitars with regards to where the truss rod is and ruining the neck permanently.

Do any of you have any experience with this job on the LS150?
mine was made around 2 years ago.

I have tried to get used to the neck but I would really prefer to have a slimmer faster neck.
Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Bob at Tokai UK seems to think that the truss rods on all Tokais are nearer to the fret board.
Thanks
T

Tompski said:
Hello,

I am toying with the idea of slimming down the neck profile on my Tobacco burst LS150.

You can't be that attached to it if you're considering this act of wanton butchery.

Please don't.

Paladin2019 said:
Tompski said:
Hello,

You can't be that attached to it if you're considering this act of wanton butchery.

Please don't.

A bit harsh and not very helpful or constructive, I absolutely love this guitar, but wish the neck was a bit slimmer and have a very capable luthier who has worked on many a vintage Les Pauls and is very knowledgeable in this field, on hand for the job.
I am not decided at all on whether I will have this done yet or not!

The idea of asking this question on this forum was/is to get an informed picture from both sides, perhaps from people who may have done it successfully or had bad experiences.

Do you have something to back your comment up with?

Hummmmm .. How can you say you are attached to it when you want to shave the neck.. Sell they guitar, buy the same color with the neck you like or another Tokai with a slimmer neck....

...... Then again.......heck...... Do it ... Do it... Yes....

There I have given you two suggestions... Sorry it's a peaceful day on the beach in Maui....Aloha...

Hi,
just to say what is important to keep in mind IMHO: on LP style solid body neck has a fundamental role in cantilever function model on which guitar is assembled... so the vibe you probably love of your guitar due to its rigidity also (Tokai's are fantastic on this side) can be compromised irremediably...
you're wanting change the neck mass and this could make guitar sound different... and never enjoyable to you ears and/or hands... so be careful. It's likely better trying to buy something different...
this my 2 cents... :D

bluesyrat said:
Hi,
just to say what is important to keep in mind IMHO: on LP style solid body neck has a fundamental role in cantilever function model on which guitar is assembled... so the vibe you probably love of your guitar due to its rigidity also (Tokai's are fantastic on this side) can be compromised irremediably...
you're wanting change the neck mass and this could make guitar sound different... and never enjoyable to you ears and/or hands... so be careful. It's likely better trying to buy something different...
this my 2 cents... :D

OK, Thank you, this is valid and helpful advice, as I said I am not decided on this idea and this is the important kind of information that I need, maybe it's time to put more of a custom order in with Tokai.
If I ordered the now equivalent of an LS150 does anyone know if they offer different style and sized necks? I waited almost 10 months for this guitar, so I guess I would be in for the long haul on this again. Who knows? I will have to mull on this for a while.

If it was ok for Jimmy Page and others to shave the LP neck down then I don't see why you shouldn't have a go.

As long as your luthier is confident then I'd say go for it.

It's pretty **** difficult to find the right neck on a LP when you're buying online, as many people are these days.

People used to do horrible things to their guitars in the 70s and 80s and nobody gave a ****, and it's not a big or noticeable mod that the OP wants to do.
Often just shaving off a bit of the neck shoulders has the desired effect, making the shape move towards a slight V feels smaller.

I agree with everybody there, you should buy an other axe with the right neck for you.
But to give my cent, you may watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG084DPaW1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r23_NvGIHE&feature=related

Tompski said:

Sorry for getting angry. Bad day.

This sort of thing was done in the 70's and 80's and worked ok because gibsons from that era had maple necks.

Your LS150 has a mahogany neck, which is softer and more prone to warping and deformation after a job like this unless the luthier is REALLY GOOD.

There's also the risk of damaging the truss rod as previously noted, or the risk of a poor colour match on the new finish.

If nothing else, you will utterly destroy the resale value of the guitar so if you decide it's not an improvement after all you're either stuck with it or you flushed a lot of money down the drain.

The neck is a cornerstone of how the guitar plays. IMO if you don't get on with the neck then you don't get on with the guitar. Ask yourself if you are just throwing good money after bad because you waited all that time and invested all that money and emotion into what turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

Paladin2019 said:
This sort of thing was done in the 70's and 80's and worked ok because gibsons from that era had maple necks.

Yes sure they did, but people were customising the older guitars back then because nobody cared about vintage in the 70s. Page's LP was a 59 and he did something totally mad to it.

Paladin2019 said:
If nothing else, you will utterly destroy the resale value of the guitar so if you decide it's not an improvement after all you're either stuck with it or you flushed a lot of money down the drain.

This is a concern for the OP - you could effectively end up with no LP.

Paladin2019 said:
Tompski said:

Sorry for getting angry. Bad day.

Your LS150 has a mahogany neck, which is softer and more prone to warping and deformation after a job like this unless the luthier is REALLY GOOD.

There's also the risk of damaging the truss rod as previously noted, or the risk of a poor colour match on the new finish.

The neck is a cornerstone of how the guitar plays. IMO if you don't get on with the neck then you don't get on with the guitar. Ask yourself if you are just throwing good money after bad because you waited all that time and invested all that money and emotion into what turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

Paladin thanks for getting back to me.

I now have a lot more information on this now and stand at a bit of a crossroads:

The Luthier in question is a man called Andy Gibson and he is well known in London, he looked my LS150 last night and at the X-ray photos I had taken of the neck, there really isn't any room to safely shave any of the neck down but funnily enough he just had a similar request from one of the guys in Iron Maiden and what he did for them is what he suggested for me, he thinks the laqqeur on the back of the neck is between 1-1.5mm and he would remove that up to the headstock in a nice downward v shape where the angle changes and then stain and wax the neck. he showed me a bass with a waxed neck and it had a really nice feel.
He said I would be really surprised by the difference this would make.

So all this was quite exciting and seemed a much safer option, but then I went and put a spanner in the works, I went up the road to Angel music where they have some older Gibson Les Pauls for sail and said I would like to compare mine and a few of these older LPs, I have to say these guitars just flat out beat the LS150, more resonant , beefier bassier and I just hate to admit it all round more bad *** more tone !
This doesn't mean that mine is not any good but I think there was just something more world class about the Gibos.
I started clutching at excuses in my head, ( I only have nines on mine, the Lollar pups might be softer sounding than the pups in these Gibsons, maybe my guitar isn't set up well enough to resonate properly?) but these LPs were also heavier in weight if that counts for anything?

So I don't know what to do....

Let Andy do the work, thus eliminating the resell value?

or sell it and have most of the money towards a Gibson
I don't believe in keeping things just because they look cool but I think I would struggle to let myself sell this guitar.

Tompsky, ?why don?t you sell it and buy a Tokai with a thinner neck? LS-150s are the thickest necks in Tokai range in my experience. I would get a LS-50 the older the better, I guess you would like that kind of neck.

+1 luis
ls150 is modeled on '58 style (and i'm totally biased on that! :p )

i don't know anyway if a ls50 could hit the target; different neck angle, two or three piece back= difference in sustain and resonance in my experience...

As for the Jimmy Page Les Paul, Joe Walsh was the one who shaved the neck and then sold it to him.
As the Tokais are based on this era of guitar, I'm sure with a good Luthier it will be ok...but there's no going back if you don't like it lol!

here's the most recent interview where Joe Walsh discusses it:

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-joe-walsh-discusses-his-career-gear-and-new-album-analog-man?page=0%2C0

Tompski

Enjoy your new Gibson.
It will sound and feel much better than your LS150 because it's the "real thing".
I'm sure the Gibbo will resonate far more than the LS150 because it's chambered.

Don't forget to try the Gibson you're thinking of buying with the Lollar Imperial pickups you currently have in your LS150.
Fair is fair, use the same pickups in both guitars so you can truly tell which one sounds better.

Diamond said:
Tompski

Enjoy your new Gibson.
It will sound and feel much better than your LS150 because it's the "real thing".
I'm sure the Gibbo will resonate far more than the LS150 because it's chambered.

Don't forget to try the Gibson you're thinking of buying with the Lollar Imperial pickups you currently have in your LS150.
Fair is fair, use the same pickups in both guitars so you can truly tell which one sounds better.

Did I rattle your cage?

I love my LS150, I just felt when I took it to the shop that had Gibsons that there was a difference, and that was acoustically as well, so even if I changed pickups and bridge what have you and this solved the tonal issue I still want a 60s neck profile.

So don't hate me Diamond, it just may be time for a change :D

Tompski said:
I love my LS150, I just felt when I took it to the shop that had Gibsons that there was a difference, and that was acoustically as well, so even if I changed pickups and bridge what have you and this solved the tonal issue I still want a 60s neck profile.

So don't hate me Diamond, it just may be time for a change :D

No hate my friend.

All the best, I hope you find one that makes you happy. 8)

On the basis of your earlier comment "a few of these older LPs, I have to say these guitars just flat out beat the LS150, more resonant , beefier bassier and I just hate to admit it all round more bad *** more tone ! "

I think you answered your own question added to which it sounds like you really have a preference for a 60's neck. Add the two things together, your LS150 has a 59 neck (read big) and in your own words you stated the older LP's you played sounded much better. This is a no brainer sell it and get a Gibson LP with a 60's neck.

As stated by many shaving off your neck will only devalue your guitar. In any case good luck.

Thanks for the positive support guys, Don't think me a traitor, I love this Tokai, it's just never been quite right for me so I am going to hunt down the one that feels perfect.

Latest posts

Back