Can anyone identify my korean love rock!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amyleskfc

Reaction score
Hi guys ......

This is my first post.... I'm trying to identify my guitar. SN 9061100 looking for factory?build year? Model?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230756036412?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/img]

It appears to be a korean model from 1990. japanese models have 9 digit serial number. I know it's not japanese does anyone have an idea where or what factory it was made in.

Thanks for your response

Amyleskfc said:
It appears to be a korean model from 1990. japanese models have 9 digit serial number. I know it's not japanese does anyone have an idea where or what factory it was made in.

Thanks for your response

What makes you think it's Korean to begin with? If it's from 1990, how can it be sold as NEW? Earlier Korean Tokais had Made In Korea stamped on the headstock and typically, the cavity covers on the back were cream in color. I'd also bet that the top is a foto flame instead of a real flame veneer. "As good or better than anything off the regular production line at Gibson" - LOL!! Perhaps if it were MIJ LS98 or better.

My guess is that it is one of the newer MIC Love Rocks with similar specs as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-Love-Rock-premium-UALS-48-Lemondrop-Zebra-pickups-/260962102936?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cc28dae98

Amyleskfc said:
It appears to be a korean model from 1990.

Were they even making them in Korea back then? I think it was it still all MIJ in 1990.

Either way, a non-MIJ model from 1990 wouldn't have had a serial number at all. They only started putting them on about six or seven years ago. My money is on China, and probably this year since it's being sold as new.

Why don't people ask these important questions BEFORE placing ebay bids? Every now and then this forum gets flooded with threads along the lines of "Hi, I just bought this, what is it, OMFG I got ripped off" and I for one would really like to know what goes through people's brains when they click 'place bid'. Seriously.

Paladin2019 said:
Amyleskfc said:
It appears to be a korean model from 1990.

Were they even making them in Korea back then? I think it was it still all MIJ in 1990.

Either way, a non-MIJ model from 1990 wouldn't have had a serial number at all. They only started putting them on about six or seven years ago. My money is on China, and probably this year since it's being sold as new.

Why don't people ask these important questions BEFORE placing ebay bids? Every now and then this forum gets flooded with threads along the lines of "Hi, I just bought this, what is it, OMFG I got ripped off" and I for one would really like to know what goes through people's brains when they click 'place bid'. Seriously.

Yup on all counts. 1990 is definitely all MIJ production - that completely slipped past me. Korea didn't show up til later in the 90's.

And yes, buyer beware - especially if you're buying something sight unseen. Wheter it's guitars, watches, hell - anything........ do your homework first. You don't always get what you pay for if you don't.

Well either day I think its gonna be better than an episode LP.... tweed case is atleast 180$... alone....guitar was 300$.... not bad in my book... some other posts about love rocks with the same SN prefix gave me the idea of the Korean build. Either way...its mine and I've got some seymor Duncan's going in it

Amyleskfc said:
Well either day I think its gonna be better than an episode LP.... tweed case is atleast 180$... alone....guitar was 300$.... not bad in my book... some other posts about love rocks with the same SN prefix gave me the idea of the Korean build. Either way...its mine and I've got some seymor Duncan's going in it

Don't get anybody wrong... it looks like a great guitar. If you like it, it sounds good and you're happy, that's all that matters.....pedigree or not. It's just that no one wants to see that you got ripped off by paying for something it isn't.... do your homework first. Now go play it!!

She is a player alright.... Absolutely amazing I do not regret purchasing this guitar at all... I swapped with my dad gibson studio and he thought it was an amazing guitar for the money...

Latest posts

Back