No more Tokai?s?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixcatus

Reaction score
At the Richtonemusic website.

I think the Tokai?s and the (Japanese domestic market) Edwards are being sold under a different shop name. No more Tokai?s from Richtonemusic?

I got my vintage white LC85S from there last week, so they are still selling tokai.

S58CL-IAKOT said:
I got my vintage white LC85S from there last week, so they are still selling tokai.
Could it be, they're selling out the remaining stock?

But what about future sales or orders? If they?re still going to sell Tokai?s, why are there no longer Tokai?s on the website?

Looks to me like they're being sold off here....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/roninguitars?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Dave

DaveWW said:
Looks to me like they're being sold off here....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/roninguitars?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Dave

Interesting...zero feedback.

just looked on their site

have they always stocked gibson ? dont recall myself that thay did

if they have just started stocking gibson maybe they can no longer sell tokai?

carl300367 said:
just looked on their site

have they always stocked gibson ? dont recall myself that thay did

if they have just started stocking gibson maybe they can no longer sell tokai?

That may be it...the 'official' Gibson store where I live are not allowed to stock Tokais...Gibson rule #1.
They can't compete with the Tokai price or quality, so they use Mafia tactics.

Diamond said:
That may be it...the 'official' Gibson store where I live are not allowed to stock Tokais...Gibson rule #1.
They can't compete with the Tokai price or quality, so they use Mafia tactics.

I?ve read something about that on the Guitarforum.co.za.

PS Rockinbetter?s are still for sale on the website, only the mentioned lp models disappeared.

Just had a reply to an email I sent to Richtone this morning. They confirm that they are no longer listing Tokais on the web site due to an agreement they have with Gibson.

However they pointed me in the direction of a new company on Ebay, Roninguitars and mentioned they do still have Tokais in the shop.

Pretty sad to see a company like Gibson using it's muscle in this way imo.

Lesblues said:

Yeah, but I don't think Gibson will stop Richard selling guitars to Germany.
8)

mirrorboy said:
Lesblues said:

Yeah, but I don't think Gibson will stop Richard selling guitars to Germany.
8)

Perhaps not Gibson but I can imagine someone who will...

You know it's funny, when I bought my Tokai from Richtone (in store) the guy totally slated Gibson, couldn't stop talking about how much better Tokai were than Gibson. What changed??

Lesblues said:
Just had a reply to an email I sent to Richtone this morning. They confirm that they are no longer listing Tokais on the web site due to an agreement they have with Gibson.

However they pointed me in the direction of a new company on Ebay, Roninguitars and mentioned they do still have Tokais in the shop.

Both Gibson and Fender have been doing this sort of stuff for at least 5 years that I know of. Similar things happen here in Aus, and I even know a guy who sells a lot of used Fender Japan and the Fender dist has really hassled him.

Gibson must have lightened the load a bit on what you have to order, because a few years ago you would have needed to be a very rich music store owner to have entered into an agreement to sell Gibson guitars.

Do a search for a specific gibson guitar of the same spec say a "gibson hummingbird" and every shop in the UK will have the same price. Ring the shop up and ask for a discount and they have no stretch on any of there prices just a few %. I guess Gibson can dictate the prices shops sell there guitars or they just cant sell their guitars. I thought we had competition laws preventing practices like this (if they exist). Sorry to go of topic but having just bought a new Gibson guitar I was stunned to discover that all there prices are set in stone at all shops.

chamito said:
You know it's funny, when I bought my Tokai from Richtone (in store) the guy totally slated Gibson, couldn't stop talking about how much better Tokai were than Gibson. What changed??

Nothings changed, he still knows Tokais are better than Gibsons, all Gibson dealers know that.
What's changed is, he can MAKE MORE MONEY selling Gibsons.

Let me tell you how it works.
The majority of guitarists walk into a music store with the intention of buying a Gibson or a Fender, as they approach the G or F display they already have a boner, as long as it has a G or F decal on the headstock nothing else matters, including the price.
If a salesman suggests they try out another brand they break into a cold sweat, before they look at another brand they look around to see if anyone's watching them, like some suspicious guy wearing dark glasses or someone they might know.
If no ones watching they'll force themselves to have a strum or two on the other brand, then if you're an incredible salesman it should take you about 18 months to convince them the other brand is a better guitar for half the price...that's how long it takes, about 18 months.

15 minutes later they walk out the shop with the G or the F, an hour later they're on the internet telling the world today they bought the best Strat or Les Paul they've ever laid there hands on (do a Google search for, "the best guitar I've ever laid my hands on")...what they don't know is the guitar tech in the music store couldn't set their guitar up properly but did the best he could because there were some problems with the quality of the build.

Thank G-d the minority of guitarists still exist.

:D

JVsearch said:
Lesblues said:

Both Gibson and Fender have been doing this sort of stuff for at least 5 years that I know of.

What they're doing is totally illegal...every country has competition laws in place.

Put yourself in their shoes...would you let a shop stock both your Gibsons and Tokais and let the customers actually compare them side by side?

To cut a long story short I met the Gibson rep in Coda music last year when playing a few SGs - when he approached me and asked how I liked them I told him that out of 12 SGs I tried only one was good enough (Truly excellent SG standard, I bought it on the spot). The other standards had flaws including cracked heels or horrible fretboards, the 61 RI finish was horrible and sticky all over, the VOS were nothing to be excited about and the specials were made of so many obvious pieces they looked like something an apprentice would put together. Of course they were all dirty, out of tune and none were setup properly - isn't it what the reseller is supposed to do in order to add value to the brand and justify their commission?

I told him that my Tokais were more consistent in quality and that I was buying a Gibson because the Tokais SGs were sold out in the UK - he was not impressed!

When I bought my first LP this August I compared two Heritages (one H150, the other was a Custom), a Gibson 2002 R8, a Tokai LS-2 and a Tokai LS-3.
Both Tokais were very similar and WAY better than the Heritages and Gibson. I bought the LS-3.
Meanwhile I acquired a '81 LS-120 and it's even better.

Back