what body paint and woods did tokai use in the 80s?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopedals

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my TPB-57, and would like to be able to tell buyers. I'm guessing alder/poly. Anyone know?

I'm willing to bet that the Springy Sounds and the Goldstar's from the late '70 and up to '85 have Nitrocellulose paint-
Correct(or should I say prove to me) me if I'm wrong-
Poly paint is REAL thick???
Nitrocellulose is applied thinner and it actually conforms to the wood showing the grain-Just like the Pre-CBS Stratocasters-I have a few Pre CBS strats that look exactly like that with the Nitrocellulose falling down into the conturs of the ALDER.
Peter Mac ??? Your take on this??

:eek: I have had some guys who "Should know" tell me that the Tokais that I have are nitro! The comment has been that these replicas are very correct. Also I keep seeing ads for Tokai Strats that claim the color is Fiesta Red when it is actually Dakota, Candy apple or Sienna. Fiesta red is the color of a 56' Thunderbird , Hank Marvins Strat, Gary Moore's 62'. WhenI got my 56'AST Fiesta Red I used to call it "Gawd awful Orange"but then I saw some high dollar Fender Custom shop models the same color and realized it's not very common, funny how it went from "GAO" to my Favorite Strat in one afternoon! And I bought it on Ebay 2 years ago in pristine condition with tweed case for $350! :p My Beautiful Fiesta Red Tokai!

Just when I think no-one notices....

My take is that Tokai used 3 finishes for the Strats. This finish is applied over the top of the paint.
1) Polyester - the thick stuff that Ochay talked about, used on the "entry" level models
2) Polyurethane - thinner than Polyester and sets hard, used on all of the 50 and 60 models
3) Nitrocellulose - real thin and used on the 70 to 120 models. You can smell the wood thru this finish, the others you can't. The top-end models using nitro did tend to be in 6 colours only

The "Fiesta Red" is actually called Fiesta Orange by Tokai due to legal ramifications. Tokai also had Metallic Red (Candy Apple) and Salmon Pink.
The vast majority of "custom"colours are all poly-u finish

play nice,guys

Peter Mac

Back