Tokai Firebird VII with weird pick up configuration

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregert

Reaction score
So today I received my 'bird after waiting for five long weeks.
Bought it second hand from Canada, it has been on Ebay several times, got a nice deal with the guy so I went for it. It can be viewed here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/tokaiguitars/tokaifb.htm

Great guitar, more exclusive looking (and feeling) than what Tokai presents in their catalog these days, with dot markers and bolt-on necks :eek:
Very nice neck, no annoying buzzing and GREAT acoustic sound. So for a while I was in heaven, then I plugged in and something was definitely wrong :evil:

The middle pup is always ON no matter what position I go for, which gives me this configuration: 1 - bridge/middle, 2 - bridge/middle/neck, 3 - middle/neck........ Wouldn't have been so bad if only the middle pup had it's own volume control (like the Epi bird VII) then I'd basically have a two pup guitar with the addition of a third pup that I could blend in to my own liking no matter what position I was using.

Now the correct wiring on those birds (as on SG Customs) would be:
1 - bridge, 2 - bridge/middle, 3 - neck, and I found the original wiring diagram on Gibsons website, so I'm gonna have to make up my mind wether I'll go for the original wiring or a more versatile "blend" option.

What I can't understand is what our asian friends have been thinking here? The current configuration is litterally useless since the middle pup won't shut down before you turn one of the others off. Meaning it's impossible to get that famous Firebird "bite". And that's why I bought the guitar in the first place, it's "missing link between Les Paul and Strat" quality. And of course, it's the coolest looking guitar ever made 8)

Any opinons and/or theories about what has happened here?

Mental previous owner?

Personally, I'd have the following configuration on a guitar like that:

1. Bridge, 2. Bridge & Neck 3. Neck ie. les paul style wiring, with an on/off switch for the middle pup somewhere, possibly a push pull pot or 2-way toggle.

All possible combinations available!

Just had it rewired, so now it's basically a two pup guitar with the option to blend the middle pup in on any pup position. Gives me 6 options with all shades in between, only thing that still doesn't work is middle pup only.
Sounds good and makes a very versatile guitar, especially since most of my work is done in studios these days.

I'm really falling in love with this guitar. :D

8)

Latest posts

Back